1752794 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE D3600 - Fan Noise

edjc3
Occasional Contributor

HPE D3600 - Fan Noise

I have a Proliant DL380 Gen9 server along with a D3600 storage unit with 12 of the 6 TB drives in it. This server/storage is located in an area that is somewhat open and the fan noise is pretty loud. I have tuned the server down to the Low Power setting, but the D3600 seems to be the main source of the noise. The DAS unit has two fan modules (QW967-63707) that slip in from the back of the unit. Each of the fan modules has two 40 mm fans that are joined together to create a "counter-rotational" air flow from what I have read. Each fan seems to have a part number of FAN-0102L4, a Delta electronics fan that specs at about 55 db.. 

Does anyone know of any configuration settings that can be safely implemented that may slow the rotational speed of these power module fans in order to quiet them down a bit? I have wondered about taking apart the fan modules and replacing the fans themselves, but I'm not sure how the slower rotational speed wil affect the way that the DAS functions. Obviously, disspating heat and having good airflow is paramount, but I'm just looking for anything I can do to decrease the noise. I have used canned air to clean the dust from the fan blades as well. In fact, I only have 6 of the drives in the array right now, as this is all i need currently. I do have blanks in the unused drive bays. I also am running the latest firware for both server and D3600, including the controller card.

There is a company called Noctua that makes a fan speed controller module (NA-FC1) that can interface between the fans and the power header that sounds like it could help. It has a max current of 3A and not sure yet if that would work. If it would work, how would the DAS respond with slower-turning fans? Would I end up with a bunch of amber warning lights and a failure to operate with that configuration?

Anyway, if anyone has been able to quiet a D3600 while preserving it's cooling integrity, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: HPE D3600 - Fan Noise

Hello,

Please share the Fan LED indication and error codes to isolate the issue

1. Fan  LED indication.
  2. Follow the 7 segment display error codes.
  3. Share the I/O module error codes.
  4. Follow the below HPE D3000 Disk Enclosure Maintenance and Service Guide for more clarification.

HPE D3000 Disk Enclosure Maintenance and Service Guide  ( Follow the page no: 36)

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04219624

Please let me know for further quires.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

edjc3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. The only codes I see on the display for the two rear I/O modules is "01". No LED lights are amber, etc. They are all green. The "01" code stays on all the time and does not blink.

I'm not sure I can say that there is anything wrong per se, it's just a loud unit. I'm just looking for a creative solution to quiet those power module fans to make it a little bit more comfortable for the employees that are nearest to that unit. Has anyone replaced the fans with other fan types, brnads, etc.?  All I know is that it really seems to make a lot of noise to just maintain a cooling leverl for six hard disk drives that are currently mounted in the unit.

Thanks.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would like to request you log a case with HPE technical team for further investigation.

May be firmware require an update or suspected FAN need to be replaced.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ChrisKolti
Advisor

Hi,

i am planning to go from the HP D2000 MSA G3 to the HP D3000, but i would like to know how loud the fan is. I could not find any deatils or Videos so far on the google, can someone tell me please or send me a video ?

Thank you,
Chris