108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSD50 SAVE_CONFIGURATION

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Hess
Advisor

HSD50 SAVE_CONFIGURATION

We have an HSD50 with two controllers set to a dual-redundant configuration. Recently I got a scare when the program cards in both controllers failed. They were replaced, and now all is fine. After the cards were replaced, the support engineer removed a disk from our spareset and initialized it with the SAVE_CONFIGURATION switch. This was done in response to our concern of being able to access our storage sets should both controllers ever fail.

Now, reading the HSD50 manuals, it's stated that it is recommended to use SAVE_CONFIGURATION only in a single controller configuration.

Is there any value in storing the configuration on a disk even if we have a dual-redundant configuration? Would this protect us should both controllers fail?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HSD50 SAVE_CONFIGURATION

I would follow the manual and not have an additional copy on a disk - there is a certain chance that the data in the NVRAM and on the disk gets out of sync.

I prefer to have a simple text listing (show disks, show disks full, show mirrorsets, show mirrorsets full, ...), because it is possible to recover from such a listing, too (well, I did it with a HSG80 - just DON'T use INITIALIZE ;-)
Geoff Hess
Advisor

Re: HSD50 SAVE_CONFIGURATION

Thank you for the prompt feedback!