1747980 Members
4469 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSZ80 questions

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

HSZ80 questions

Hello, I am supporting an older HSZ80 array, and we are having some performance issues. I want to make sure that our firmware revision is fairly current.

We are running FW V83Z-0. Is there newer FW available? I have a valid support contract, but wanted to understand my options before I logged a call.

Interesting that one controller shows HW E06, and the other shows HW E10. Can anyone confirm whether this is normal?

Here is output from the CLI:

HSZ80_A>show this
Controller:
HSZ80 ZG11001561 Software V83Z-0, Hardware E06
NODE_ID = 5000-1FE1-0005-6690
ALLOCATION_CLASS = 0
SCSI_VERSION = SCSI-2
Configured for MULTIBUS_FAILOVER with ZG11900777
In dual-redundant configuration
Device Port SCSI address 7
Time: 27-DEC-2005 14:30:38
Host PORT_1:
SCSI target(s) (0, 1)
TRANSFER_RATE_REQUESTED = 20MHZ
Host Functionality Mode = A
Host PORT_2:
SCSI target(s) (0, 1)
Command Console LUN is disabled
Cache:
512 megabyte write cache, version 0022
Cache is GOOD
Unflushed data in cache
CACHE_FLUSH_TIMER = 45 (seconds)
Mirrored Cache:
Not enabled
Battery:
FULLY CHARGED
Expires: 14-JUN-2006
NOCACHE_UPS
HSZ80_A>show other
Controller:
HSZ80 ZG11900777 Software V83Z-0, Hardware E10
NODE_ID = 5000-1FE1-0005-6690
ALLOCATION_CLASS = 0
SCSI_VERSION = SCSI-2
Configured for MULTIBUS_FAILOVER with ZG11001561
In dual-redundant configuration
Device Port SCSI address 6
Time: 27-DEC-2005 14:30:43
Host PORT_1:
SCSI target(s) (0, 1)
Host PORT_2:
SCSI target(s) (0, 1)
Command Console LUN is disabled
Cache:
512 megabyte write cache, version 0022
Cache is GOOD
Unflushed data in cache
CACHE_FLUSH_TIMER = 45 (seconds)
Mirrored Cache:
Not enabled
Battery:
FULLY CHARGED
Expires: 14-JUN-2006
NOCACHE_UPS
HSZ80_A>

Thanks in advance,

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Are you intentionally runing without cache mirroring?
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Hadn't made it to asking about that yet...

What are the consequences of switching that parameter? Can it be done online? (without disruption to the running systems - Tru64)

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You could use "run vtdpy" (ctrl+y to exit) to monitor the performance. Also you should set preferred paths for your units.

When I run show this and show other (on a HSG not HSZ) I see the same hardware number (I don't know what it means).

You should also know that firmware upgrade are done by replacing the flash card, is not a software that you can load.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I have been using vtdpy, and it has been VERY helpful. By setting preferred path, I am able to balance the load between the two controllers. This seems to help.

I would still like to know what my firmware upgrade options are. Is this the latest FW? If not, I'll work through HP to upgrade.

-tjh
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Can't help with the firmware, but I can tell you that a change of cache mirroring requires a controller reboot. It might even reboot automatically - I don't remember, so be careful!

I've been told that running HSG80-based storage arrays, which are very similar to the HSZ80 had performance problems when running non-mirrored caches, but I never tried to verify.

You could also check the writeback-attribute of the units. On old HSZ controllers it was disabled by default.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I apologize, but am unable to find the CLI guide for this array. How do I check/set the writeback cache settings?

-tjh
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Don't have one handy, either, but to check all units do:

> show units full

To change unit D1, I think it is:

> set D1 writeback_cache
Pat Obrien_1
Regular Advisor

It has been a few years since I have had a HSZ80, but from memory I was running V85Z-4. Contrary to what others have said, yes you do replace the cards to get to v84z-0 but the you have to have support patch them to patch 4. I don't recall the last patch for these any longer as I don't have any. As I recall, with 512mb cache, the recommended settings for cache is mirrored, and you get a little bit better perf than no mirrored which is not true for less cache. The differences in E revs is something you FE can check to verify you are at the corect versins for the version of acs you upgrading to.
pmob