Disk Enclosures
1748138 Members
3588 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help accessing data on Storageworks Smart Array 1000 (MSA 1000)

SOLVED
Go to solution
systemagic
Occasional Visitor

Help accessing data on Storageworks Smart Array 1000 (MSA 1000)

I have a fairly new client who has a very old system, servers running Windows server 2008 R2 and a StorageWorks Smart Array 1000 (MSA 1000), the MSA 1000 is connected to several of the servers via fibre cables and there are mapped drives to different data on each of the servers showing up as dynamic disks.  One of the servers has died and im unable to recover it which isnt a problem but i need to access the data the server was accessing on the MSA 1000, its not the type of technology I have come across before so I'm struggling to find a way of accessing the data.  I still have access to one of he servers which has a fibre connection to the MSA 1000 and has a drive showing that is being held on the MSA 1000, in disk management its a synamic disk and going into the device details its showing as COMPAQ MSA 1000 VOLUME SCSI DISK DRIVE.

I cant find any HP smart array utiities on the server itself, the display of the MSA 1000 shows a very random IP address which i cant access via HTTP or Telnet.  I did consider it might be connected via the SCSI initiator on the server but that wasnt even running.  

In storage explorer I've found a Fibre Channel Fabric with several online connections, I'm assuming this is along the rights lines but its not something I am familiar with.

Please can someone help

5 REPLIES 5
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @systemagic,

Can you please post the supporting screenshots as well to understand the issue better?.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

systemagic
Occasional Visitor

We think we have a solution but havent tested it yet, the servers are connected to the MSA 1000 via FC, we are gonig to take the cards out of the broken server and put into a working server which should give us access to the data.  does that sound like a logical solution?

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @systemagic,

Export the volume to another windows host and access the volume from that host.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

systemagic
Occasional Visitor
Solution

I have this isse resolved, I removed the fibre card and put into another server, booted up and the volumes mounted and i could access the data.

Thanks

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @systemagic,

That's great to know that your issue is resolved.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo