1748159 Members
4045 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help!

Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Help!

Dan et al, please don't move this post to storage for 10 minutes... thats all I need with the PUX propeller-heads... promise!!! I will relog on the Storage area in 10.....

Hey all,

Got me an FC60, use all them lovely amdsp etc. commands, and am very much au fe with the original LSI/Metastor/Symbios E3300 product... BUT HP have added all their clever tricks to the box, so am in trouble.

Changed a failed drive in a RAID5 grouping and the whatsit hit the fan, dunno if there was a dirty DACstore on the disk, but it has knocked out the leading disk (replaced) in the RAID5 set and also fubared a RAID 1 set of 2 drives (unassigned).....

What I really want to know I guess (at 10PM) is where I can get GOOD FC60 help at this hour???

Thanks in desperation,

MND
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Marc,

I'm guessing this isn't the answer you want to hear - but I'd log a call with the Response Center asap.

Pete

Pete
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Fully agree with Peter. Call HP. If you wish please post 'amdsp -a' output here for me to take a look
Eugeny
Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Pete, Eugeny....

You the best, thought that would be the answer!!

I will post the amdsp -a, but what I read is very scary... I will beat this baby!

MND
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

We're waiting....
The main thing you should NOT to do in case of any trouble with FC60 is to panic and issue destructive commands from console and pull/push disks/controllers of FC60. Sometimes magicians from HP can restore information from comletely dead LUN, but only in case you will not do anything wrong by yourself.
As soon as you'll post amdsp output I will be able to tell more
Eugeny
Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Eugeny,

Thanks, yes I am very used to these arrays, in fact there is a number of things one can do to them to get them right. I cannot talk to the array at present, as it is locked up completely, so no amdsp -a. What I did see when I had a chance to see the amdsp is that the array has 5 drive groups according to it's info, yet there are only 4 in the amdsp. An amdsp -d tells me that 2 drives that are in a mirror set are "suddenly" unassigned and that the drive that is next to the drive we replaced is marked replaced, when it was not replaced, let alone pulled.

I think that we have a situation of a "phantom" drive here, and if I had the resources I believe that we could patch the phantom out and rearrange the drives.

Unfortunatly, my customer is NOT on contract, so no HP, let alone LSI help on this one. What I am doing at the office dialed into a site at 1 AM is beyond me.

Thanks for your input,

MND
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I think this is an example of bad firmware causing problems in FC60. What firmware level do the FC60 controllers have?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Marc,

Just a comment at this point:

I think you need to find a new customer. My experience with the FC60 has been that without a support contract you might as well go back to a calculator, pen and paper.

I hope you can come up with something for them - good luck!

Pete

Pete
Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Pete and all fellow propeller heads.

This site is 600 miles away, and I was dialled up. At 3AM we decided to trash and restart, this array was very much poked. I am not sure of the FW, but IF they take maintenance I will upgrade, otherwise - sorry.

The rebuild went well, all vgcfgrestores went well and cluster up. Thanks goodness for raw filesystems!!! Hopefully they are up this morning, I got to sleep at 6AM.

Will close this one, thanks once again all, you da best.

MND
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I'd try calling HP. And after you give them a call try going on the web and searching forums... oh wait.... uh... nevermind
All paths lead to destiny