New Discussion юеВ

Hot Spare in SC10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian_12
Occasional Contributor

Hot Spare in SC10

HI,
I have a SC10 with 8 disks. I will use Raid5 on them.
Could anyone give an input about why and when should I consider setting a hot spare disk in this situation? What are the pros and cons of a hot spare in my case?
Thanks!
Brian
4 REPLIES 4
gil paz_2
Advisor
Solution

Re: Hot Spare in SC10

Hi
You can see the attache file there is good
issue about sc10 and hot spaer.
If you need more info juast send me email
gil_paz@hp.com
gil paz_2
Advisor

Hi
This is the second doc.
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Hello

Fist of all, I'd like to make sure that you're talking about SC10 only because SC10 is not an array but just a bunch of disks.

If you mentioned FC60 with one SC10, I would say that a single disk enclosure (SC10) configuration is not recommended in high availability environments. That's because BCC within SC10 is not a hot-swappable component, which indicates that you must power off SC10 when you replace BCC.

For RAID 5, one disk's worth of capacity from each LUN is required to store parity data.
So if one disk from each LUN failed, data and parity from the remaining disks are used to rebuild the contents of the failed disk but one more disk is failed again before replacement, you would lose your data.
Hot spare disk is used as a replacement disk if a data disk fails.
When a disk fails, the disk array begins rebuilding the failed disk's data on an available hot spare.

as a result, Hot spare are an essential for maintaining high availability and reduce the risk of a second disk failure and restore the disk array performance.

Best regards,
Never say "no" first.
Brian_12
Occasional Contributor

Thanks folks. Both postings are very helpful.
Gil, could you please post again the first doc. I could not download it.
In Su kim, you went right on the issue.