Disk Enclosures
1753384 Members
5815 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Hot Swapping with new drives and seeing errors. Different firmware and PHY Count

Bill_VA

Hot Swapping with new drives and seeing errors. Different firmware and PHY Count

We have a HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8, with a P410i Smart Array controller card and an external RAID enclosure with 8 bays.  There is a logical drive comprised of 6 1TB hard drives in a RAID5 config.  One of the drives was reporting as degraded and we ordered replacements, same part number, MM1000FBFVR.  The firmware on the existing drives is HPD1 (yeah, I know it's old, but I just came on board), and the new drives have HPD8.  The existing drives also report a PHY Count of 2, and the new drives report a PHY Count of 1.

When we install the newer drive in the bay (8) where the degraded drive was reported, the critical status message says "Bay 8 is bad or missing".  Any idea why?  Is this because the firmware versions are different, or the PHY Counts are different?  BTW, we ordered 3 new drives and they all do the same thing.

I should note that when we reinstall the degraded drive back in the same slot, the drive does work and rebuilds, but later reports that it’s degraded again, which indicates that the enclosure backplane is probably ok.

1 REPLY 1
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: Hot Swapping with new drives and seeing errors. Different firmware and PHY Count

Hi @Bill_VA 

Replacement drive should be shown as available,

Try to clear meta of this drive then assign as spare and check.

also, firmware are pretty low and i could see multiple fixes in latest so could be an issue with firmware.

You should update drive firwmare.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo