Disk Enclosures
1752631 Members
5633 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How Can I Scrub Disks on an EVA 5000?

Ron Marchak_1
Advisor

How Can I Scrub Disks on an EVA 5000?

We are migrating data from our EVA 5000 to EVA 8000. The data is business sensitive. Does anyone know the best away to make sure the data on the disks have been removed? I was thinking of creating the largest device possible and using dd and copying /dev/null on top of everything. If I take this approach how do I verify the data has been destoyed? Also if anyone has any scripts written to do this, I would appreciate it if I could borrow a copy. Thanks in advance.
We have no problems, just opportunities !
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you plan to use dd, first get a cup of coffee, then use /dev/zero of /dev/random and not /dev/null and also, specify a large block size, like 256k or higher.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ron Marchak_1
Advisor

Ivan,

dd was the only solution I know of. I intended to do three passes writing all 0's, all 1's, then all 0's again. This proceedure was used by a government agency to destroy all data on disks. What I am really looking for is another solution that can be performed in one pass and a lot faster.
Ron Marchak_1
Advisor

Also there is an utility called DILX. I never used it before. Can anyone shed some light on this? Can it be used for the EVA? Where can I download it w/instructions on how to use?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

DILX is available through the field service:

https://sma:2381/command_view_eva/fieldservice
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor