cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove an array from an LH3

Manfred Mebus
Occasional Visitor

How can I remove an array from an LH3

I have a Netserver (LH3) with 2 raid 5 arrays (a 6 x 9GByte HD) and want to remove the secound array, but don't known how I can do it.
I try it with the BIOS of the built in NetRaid controller, but without success.
I used the menu items conigure and
View/Add/Delete Configuration, but what
should I do now?
The OS of the LH3 ist SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 and I try it with "megamgr", but without success, too.

Have anyone an idea?
4 REPLIES
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: How can I remove an array from an LH3

Hello Manfred,
The BIOS of the server (not the Netraid bios) gives you the option to assign the 2 SCSI channels to either Raid mode or SCSI mode. Currently, you'll have both assigned to RAID mode. The only thing you need to do is to change the channel you wish to disable the RAID mode for to SCSI mode. After a reboot, your primary channel still is in RAID mode and the secondary channel is seen as SymBios SCSI channel for which you need to load the SymBios SCSI driver in SCO.

best regards,

Cal.
Manfred Mebus
Occasional Visitor

Hello Caliban,

that was also my first idea, but the
Netraid bios is not happy about that.
I get the following messages:
5 Logical Drive(s) found
3 Logical Drive(s) faild
5 Logical Drive(s) handeld by BIOS

The second array is divided into 3 logical
drives and after disabling of the secondary
channel i can not remove the logical drives.

I need to remove this logical drive, because
i have new Hard Disks for the second channel
(6 x 36GByte instead of 6 x 9GByte) and i want to make a new array with my own logical drive configuration.

best regards,

Manfred
Gerard Dijkstra
Valued Contributor

If you can't remove the arrays through the normal way you could try the following:
- bring your system down

- pull out the drives which are part of the array which you want to keep just far enough to disconnect them (3-4 cm) and add the new drives to the system

- boot your system and enter Ctrl-M (make sure that both channels are enabled for RAID)
clear the configuration of the NetRAID in(Configure, Clear Configuration, confirm)

- bring the system down and insert the drives which were disconnected

- boot your system in Ctrl-M again and select Configure -> View, Add, Delete Configuration -> View Disk Configuration
Press F-10 and save this configuration

On your next reboot you can configure the other drives as well.
Hope this helps you further
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Erick Wilkins
Occasional Visitor

Manfred,
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I have a question for you. How did you configure your array for the second channel? I have a customer that added 3 drives to the second channel of his NetRaid in a Raid 5 config but we don't know what numbers to plug into SCO to recognize this array (i.e. adapter,bus,id,lun)