do it

Best Regards

Ashan
10 REPLIES 10
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How configure HP12H to RAID 5

From the manual,...

Once a RAID Level has been selected, it cannot be changed dynamically. The RAID Level is only set when the LUN is created.

When binding a LUN, use the following command,..

amcfg -L : ..... -r

So you set the RAID Level at LUN Creation. Make sure you first have sufficient free disk for the 12H to build this RAID 5 config!

Share and Enjoy! Ian

Building a dumber user
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

the commands Ian sent (amcfg) are for FC60 disk arrays. Model 12H Autoraid uses 'arraycfg' Syntax.

Anyway, I think you can not set the Autoraid 12H to raid level 5. It is an Auto(!) raid, distributing the data automatically between Raid 5 and Raid 0/1, depending on free disk space and age of data. The Controllers ensure, that never less than 10% of data is in raid 0/1, because it has better performance.

Regards.

Tobias
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Ashan,

Tobias is dead right, my commands were from the FC60 manual that found its way into my AutoRaid Documentation Folder.

My apologies for leading you astray.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

No way. AutoRAID manages data allocation and RAID level by its firmware depending on used/total space ratio. It is an AutoRAID feature. AutoRAID means that box selects RAID level by itself.
But newer VA disk arrays can be configured in RAID 0/1 mode or in AutoRAID mode.
12h can work in AutoRAID mode only
Eugeny
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It's very simple.

1) Turn off "Active Hot Spare".

2) Allocate all the available space as LUN's.

You will now instantly be 90% RAID5 / 10% RAID 1/0. This is the "dumb" way to configure an AutoRAID. You don't want RAID5; you want as much space as possible to be left in RAID 1/0 for performance.

If on the other hand, you want to maximize storage space (at the expense of performance) then follow the initial suggestions.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It's very simple.

You will now instantly be 90% RAID5 / 10% RAID 1/0. This is the "dumb" way to configure an AutoRAID. You don't want RAID5; you want as much space as possible to be left in RAID 1/0 for performance.

If on the other hand, you want to maximize storage space (at the expense of performance) then follow the initial suggestions.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It's very simple.

ashan
Advisor

Thanks to all, how have try to help in my AutoRAID configuration.

Regards

Ashan