1748242 Members
4082 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to assign more disk space from EVA5000

Philip Chan_3
Occasional Contributor

How to assign more disk space from EVA5000

Hi, I am new to use the san management. I had a EVA5000 disk array (EVA3k), when I want to assign more disk space to one of my HPUX server, I couldn't find the page where I can allocate more space from the space vdisks. Can
somebody tell me how to do it? I find this very annoying because sometimes I can find the menu from the command view eva, but many times I couldn't see the modifying menu. Please reply to my email at: philip_chan@acco.ca

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: How to assign more disk space from EVA5000

In Command View EVA select the "Active" volume of the vdisk you want to expand.

There will be a "Capacity Req" field near the bottom of the page. This is a writeable field. Simply type the new size you want the vdisk to be in this field.

Click on "Save Changes" near the top of the page.

The Vdisk will go to "warning" status for a few minutes as the capacity is added and then go back to green.

Once this has happened you'll need to do whatever is necessary in HPUX to get it to recognize that a drive has gotten bigger.
Richard Perez
Valued Contributor

Philip
as HP-UX can't grow lv's dinamically, you will have to devise a method to use the new space.

Usually I recommend to create a new LUN and copy the data from the old LUN to the new one. If you don't have enough space, backup, delete LUN (yes, delete as I have seen very weird results when Vdisks are made bigger), create the LUN and restore

Regards
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Philip,

1. LUN size may be increased in EVA 5000, but cannot be rediced back.

2. But this incraese in LUN size is not visible to HP-UX.

As suggested, you can either craete a NEW LUN of desired size, present it to this HP machine, and move data from the old LUN, then you can unpresent the older LUN, and delete it. Or if you want to increase the size of LUN, then you should have the backup ready, you would have to create the VG/LV again.

Regards
What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.