New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to create a new partition/new drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

How to create a new partition/new drive

Hi, a Merry Christmas to everyone.

I know it is a wrong time to ask for help, but I shall appreciate it if any of you happen to pop in and will be kind enough to share ideas.

I have an HP Notebook ze105ea, with WinXP (SP2) installed. I wish to create a new drive for the purpose of storing system disaster recovery.

However, following the online instruction in START/HELP AND SUPPORT, I get to the middle of nowhere.

The online instruction says:
_Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive. _

In the Computer Management/ Storage/ Diskmanagement window, I do not see an unallocated region (which is supposed to be marked off with black borders).

Pease see a screenshot attached here.

I shall be most grateful if you could give ideas or show a link where I can find instructions that specifically address my problem with HP Notebook ze2105ea.

Cheers.

John
11 REPLIES 11
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Merry Christmas to all.

The option will not be applicable here as all the space of your hard disk is allocated to one partition. For this thing to work you should be required to remove everything and reconfigure again with first partition of a little smaller size than that of full disk.

When first partition is not of full size, you can create second partition on the unused part of the disk.

Really for disaster if you see I would recommend to attach an external disk and create a partition on that disk in similar fashion and then move data. Because in the approach you are following, the disk failure will ultimately make both partitions unavailable.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot for your advice, Devender.

I will purchase an external hard disk and store the recovery files therein.

Two more questions:
(As they are asked at a wrong time, please answer them after Christmas if they will take two much of your holy-day)

(1) If I have an external hard disk, does it suggest that there is no more need to create a new partition in Drive C?

(2) If, for some reason, there are some advantages in creating a second logical drive in Drive C, how can I ensure that the first partition does not take up all the space of Drive C when I format hard disk?

Last time when I formated the hard disk, following the online instruction for an HP Pavilion ze2105 Notebook, at one point, I selected FORMAT THE PARTITION USING THE NTFS FILES SYSTEM (QUICK), and that was how I got to the present situation.

Next time I format the disk, should I select a different option? What else should I do?

Many thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

John
wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

Hi, Devender and all friends here. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas holiday.

I'll appreciate it if you could send instructions (URLs that lead to relevant webpages) on how to format the hard drive of a Pavilion notebook.

PH Pavilion seems to have modified the Windows XP (Home Edition) settings, and does not allow the user to re-format the Hard Disk to create new logical drives.

I'll also appreciate it if you could send similar information on how format a mobile hard disk for the same purpose of creating new logical drives and new partitions.

Many thanks in advance.

John

wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

FYI, I attach a screenshot which shows my dilemma with the problem of allocating unit size for my mobile HD.

I'll be grateful if you have spotted the root of my dilemma and could tell me what to do to create four separate partitions on this 40 GB mobile HD.

John
-------
Attachment: zipped screenshot
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

You are on right track. Just choose the default "allocation unit size", appropriate drive letter & file system.

After format the drive will be visible in "my computer".

HTH,
Devender
wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

Hi, Devender. Thanks a lot.

Please look at the first screenshot (in the first message) and the second screenshot (in the last message) again.

There is no free space in neither the internal HD nor the mobile HD.

My Aim: create four partitions in each HD.

My Problems:
(1) With the Internal HD: HP Pavilion Notebook does not permit me to create a new partition when I tried to format drive C.

(2) With the mobile HD: no new partition is yet created, and I want to create four new partititions, one of which is to be reserved for disaster recovery backup (Norton Ghost backup).

Please advise. Many thanks.

John

wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

Hi, Devender. Thanks a lot.

Please look at the first screenshot (in the first message) and the second screenshot (in the last message) again.

There is no free space in neither the internal HD nor the mobile HD.

My Aim: create four partitions in each HD.

My Problems:
(1) With the Internal HD: HP Pavilion Notebook does not permit me to create a new partition when I tried to format drive C.

(2) With the mobile HD: no new partition is yet created, and I want to create four new partititions, one of which is to be reserved for disaster recovery backup (Norton Ghost backup).

I have chosen 'Default', but after the format was completed, the mobile HD has only one partition. (Should I delete the existent partition before creating a new partition?)

Please advise. Many thanks.

John
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The reason for this is because your new drive has allready one partition defined and allocated to a drive letter. If you wish to make 4 partitions than delete this drive letter and create four partiotion, ( You will have an option to define size of logical drive). Then format them one by one and assign drive letter.

This you can not do with the drive through your machine is booting. Also data in E: will be lost after deleting.

HTH,
Devender

wen4dao4
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot, Devender.

I've done it. It works.

John