Disk Enclosures
1748122 Members
3204 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to know if I can connect a array to my Server or not.

Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

How to know if I can connect a array to my Server or not.

From the ioscan output how to get if I can connect additional SCSI devices or a disk array might be a JBOD to my server or not.
For now my need is know it on K-CLass. I am putting this question again to have more better idea. I just want to go with some old type FW SCSI interface or differential array.
I have pretty good answers from Sanjay and Sean dale. I want to take it further.

Thanks and regards
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
6 REPLIES 6
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Below is IOSCAN output.
I am looking out for if I can dissconnect DLT connection and connect a new disk array to that Interface.
There is a differential SCSI in my core IO slot, which is free as I can see from backside of server. I am not able to see something like that in IOSCAN output.
Can that port be used if not DLT interface which is HSC FW SCSI.
Please reply.
Thanks and regards
Prashant

"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I wonder if you are not looking at the built-in scsi with the DAT and CD-ROM connected...

About your concern (JBOD...) the most important for a start is knowing from where (what) I boot from? internal disks? that would be 10/0.3.0
10/0.4.0
10/0.5.0
10/0.6.0?

All the best
Victor
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Below is my boot config.
/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 (10/0.6.0) -- Boot Disk
/dev/dsk/c0t5d0 (10/0.5.0)
/dev/dsk/c0t4d0 (10/0.4.0) -- Boot Disk
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0 (10/0.3.0)

Can I use the built in interface to connect external SCSI array. If yes then how?
Thanks a lot for reply, I didnt realize to use that even..I really wonder if I can use that.

Thanks again
Prashant

Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Prashant,
No I woulnt advise you to use that built in scsi because I believe its not FW-diff...
On the other hand your 10/8 may do the job if you do not wish to use the DLT anymore, I remember having trouble with a K360 some years ago because I booted external on HDS5800 subsystem and had therefore redundant/dual path to vg00 (on the subsystem) adding new LUNs was OK till the day I forgot I had a bootable disk (it came with it...) in 10/0.6.0 and so the system panicked... I corrected with
8/12.4.1 etc as to follow:
8/12 ext_bus GSC add-on Fast/Wide SCSI Interface
8/12.0.0 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.1.0 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.2.0 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.3.0 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.4.0 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.4.1 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.4.2 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.4.3 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.4.4 disk HITACHI DF400
8/12.7.0 ctl Initiator
10/0 ext_bus GSC built-in Fast/Wide SCSI Interface
10/0.0.0 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.1.0 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.2.0 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.3.0 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.4.0 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.4.1 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.4.2 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.4.3 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.4.4 disk HITACHI DF400
10/0.6.0 disk SEAGATE ST39173WC

All the best
Victor
SSP_1
Regular Advisor

Dear Prashant ,

Did U recognize me...we met once [I think it was August-2003] at National Grid Transco, Solihull, UK. When did U leave Zensar and where are U now. Please give me ur mail id, U can drop a mail to me on "sspatkar@hotmail.com "

Shripad Patkar
Obstacles exist to challenge you to keep going. Not to quit.
Zubair_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Prashant
Sorry to update u hear, hope u remember me, my name is Zubair was working with u in Zensar Transco BG...
If you find time then plz mail me across at
mdzubair940@yahoo.com and can u mail me ur id.

Zubair Ahmed.