108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to mount a EVA Snapshot/MirrorClone on RHEL5.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

If the new and original VGs look alike, (e.g. same vgdisplay info, same lvol name and size) I would say that all the LVM stuff is good.

You would not be able to get this far with a bad copy of a vDISK.

Is it possible you created the snapshot before there was any data in the filesystem? Or you snapped the wrong vDISK.
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill

I took the snapshot of the correct Vdisk after i mounted & copied some data on the FS.
Do i need to export VG from the Source host after i mount the FS ? and then import from the second host where i presented snapshots ?

Thanks

Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

Can anyone explain the steps to see the Snapshot on Linux host?

Thanks
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

I can see the Snap volume but It is not showing Exported VG for me, when i present the snapshot to the target host and run pvscan command on target host ? do i need to run any commands on source host to show exported VG ?
Here is the o/p
[root@qmpllsyb1001 ~]# pvscan
PV /dev/mpath/mpath22 VG VGSource1 lvm2 [5.00 GB / 1020.00 MB free]
PV /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 VG rootvg lvm2 [136.50 GB / 105.50 GB free]
Total: 2 [141.50 GB] / in use: 2 [141.50 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0 ]
[root@qmpllsyb1001 ~]#
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

The only thing I can think of is that the data you wrote to the disk wasn't actually flushed to disk when you did the snapshot so I still showed the filesystem as empty.

I don't know if linux has a flush command to ensure all the stuff in memory is actually written to disk. If so you might want to do that before creating the snapshot. if not try to unmount the filesystem before creating the snapshot.

Once you create the new snapshot you can re do the pvscan, vgimport, etc.

If you want to do this everyday, a mirror might be a better method than a snapshot. You can then simply fracture and resync the mirror.
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

I found it..
we dont need to import VG or anything
once we do vgs or vgscan, we see the VG , need to just mount it . It doesnt shows as Exported VG on the target host.

Thanks everyone for the help.