New Discussion юеВ

How to recover RAID sets when a KZPCC is replaced

SOLVED
Go to solution
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

How to recover RAID sets when a KZPCC is replaced

Greetings,

We have an Alpha DS20E with a KZPCC RAID controller. Two RAID sets are defined, one 2-disk RAID-1 and one 4-disk RAID-5. Recently, the KZPCC failed and had to be replaced. After it was replaced we looked at the RAID sets in the Configuration Utility and the status of both of them was 'dead'. Telephone support had us force them to status 'Optimal' with the key sequence alt-F10-O but it didn't work. We ended up having to delete the RAID sets, recreate them, and then restore from tape backups. This wasn't a big deal this time because the DS20E wasn't in production yet.

My questions:
Is there a way to prevent this from happening again should the KZPCC fail again? I've read the KZPCC User Guide from cover to cover and found nothing of use.

Can you save the configuration on floppy and restore from it if needed. In the utility I saw a 'Make Boot Floppy' menu item under the 'Action' drop-down list. I tried it and it failed with 'Failed to write to the diskette'. I tried a couple different floppies.

Vitals:
Console Firmware: 6.9-1
KZPCC (don't know if it's -CE or -AC): Adaptec AIC-7895 V001.2H
Adaptec RAID Setup Utility: V1.12/33I

Thanks in advance for any help,
Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
3 REPLIES 3
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: How to recover RAID sets when a KZPCC is replaced

There is a way to save the configuration and restore it.

You want to get the SWXRMGR and related software kit -- and install the SWXRMGR for Unix software on your system. There is a floppy that has the software you need to run at the console level to manage the controller.

You might look on the Alpha Firmware CD to see if there is a copy of the software there. As I recall from working with the RaidArray 230Plus there were some of the firmware CDs that had the kit on them.

It saved my bacon several times to have backups of RAID configurations on floppies since I had 5 or 6 systems with that style of controller on them.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Robert,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize it was set up like what was on our old Alpha 1200s. But I am having a problem though.

I found a floppy labeled 'ECU Diskeete V1.11 DEC Alpha' so I assume that's the one.

At '>>>' I entered 'alphabios', got the menu, selected 'Utilities' -> 'Run Maintenance program', and entered 'CF' as the program.

The utility starts but it's now prompting for which system board. I don't know which one to enter. I look at the output of '>>> show config' and don't see anything similar. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Vic
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Robert,

We've figured things out. Thanks for your help.

Vic