1753792 Members
7292 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to remove Drive from array

Andy Lam_2

How to remove Drive from array

Hi,

I have a W2K server with a hardware RAID 5 installed(Compaq Smart Array 532) . It come with three 18.2G harddisk and configure as RAID 5-DIsk 0. I want to extend the last logical dirve but result in a new disk 1 fromed.Is it possible to remove the new drive from Array without data loss as expand completed?
alcw
4 REPLIES 4
Andy Lam_2

One more question and details as follow :

I have an ML370 G2 with a 532 array controller. I had (3) 18.2 gig drives in a RAID5 array which configure as one logical drive (LD1,total size is 34719). I install W2K server and partition it as C,D,E,F. SQL 2000 is installed on F drive. As the F drive become full, I want to extend F drive by adding a new 18.2 gig drive into the array. I follow the ACU screen instruction and a new logical drive (LD2) is created. However, I can't extend the LD1 . Is it possible to pull the recently added drives from my array since data has been striped across all of the disks? By the way, is it possible to extend drive F without data loss on such configure (W2K, basic disk)?

Thanks and Regards,

Andy
alcw
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

Any basic disk can be expanded in Win2K Server family with the DISKPART utility. Go to this link to get the download and instructions.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;325590

As for the rest of the array config, remember that logical drives cannot be expanded via the array controller software without data loss. Use DISKPART and you will be fine. (As always, have a good backup!)
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
e4services
Honored Contributor

As for your question of removing the last drive you added, I guess what you want is to go back. No you can not go back now, removal will just create a "Critical" array. But as responded, you can Extend the last partition into a new partition of the new unused space under Windows NT and 2000, though this is not even recommended by Microsoft. This is do to the fact that the data can become separated between the two partitions, but I guess that is what backups are for.

What I would have suggested is to use the flexibility of Windows Disk Manager to set drive letters to MOVE your F: partition to another array. By creating a new larger partition, copying your F: over to the new drive, then rearranging your drive letters and a reboot, the software and the Windows registry are non the wiser. At least that is what I would do.
Our Drives are cheap this days, data loss is not.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Andy Lam_2

Thanks Randy and e4Services,

For diskpart utility, I try it before but can't extend F drive. Now, I create new logical partition G and detach database from SQL, move database to drive G and attach the database to solve the disk full problem of drive F.

alcw