New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to replace an EVA controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yaboto
Super Advisor

How to replace an EVA controller

Hi,

The controller A on my EVA storage is down and only controller B is up and running. As an emergency measure I am taking a controller from the desaster recovery site to replace the faulty controller A at the Live site. Please help me with the procedures I have to follow to successfully achieve this task.

Regards,
Mawuena
10 REPLIES 10
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Are you having a EVA4000/6000/8000 ?
If so, you may refer to the link below :

http://www.thesml.com/csr.htm?prodSeriesId=470490

If you have zoning in the san switch that require the change of WWN info, you will also need to modify them in the san switch configuration.
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Hi,

Do I need to set the WWN and the checksum for the new controller before connecting it to the existing single controller EVA ?

Approximatively, how long does it take for the UPDATEOTHER command to finish updating the other controller into normal and synchronized state ?

Regards,
Mawuena
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

You will not need to enter anything. Your B controller is currently acting as MASTER and it will take care of the slave controller (as you insert controller A).

It should not take more than 2-3 minutes to boot the controller A and copy the configuration from controller B.

Precaution: Keep the power switch in OFF mode while inserting the controller and wait for a minute or so before powering it ON, to make sure good health of controller.

You can verify the new controller's operation from CommandView (hope you know that already).

at last, ALL THE BEST.
Yaboto
Super Advisor

It is taking more than 3 hours now and the controllers synchronisation is not yet finished.
Please Advice.

Regards,
Mawuena
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Hi,

Why is it taking so long for Master Controller B to UpdateOther Controller A ? The updateOther took all the night and still this morning it was not yet finished.

Here is an information concerning the controllers:

existing Controller B:
System Information
Version
OCP Firmware: FW:1.6 API:1.2
Controller: 5.F ECO: 18
XCS HSV200-v5031

new Controller A:
System Information
Version
OCP Firmware: FW:1.7 API:1.2
Controller: 7.B ECO: 0
XCS HSV200-v5110

All over night the OCP of Controller A keeps on displaying and looping in between the following messages:

Startup:CR0C4DXC3P

World Wide Node
0000-0000-0000-0000

ed 0:0
GLUE Programming

SDC ...

... etc ....

Is it because Controller A firmware(new) is higher than Controller B (existing Master) firmware ? If it were the case, I thought the Master Controller should have downgraded the new controller during the UpdateOther proccess.

Please somebody help ! I don't want my EVA to run on a single Controller B.

Regards,
Mawuena
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

You have a condition here, you are all right with procedure and concept that even if the new controller firmware is higher the master controller should degrade it.

First suggestion is to call HP, provide them the controller termination logs and see what can they see in there. Second suggestion, (A VERY BOLD STEP) is to remove the new controller and re-insert and then see what happens. If it still hangs on the "scanning disks" you probably have a wrong version of controller or something which an EVA can't determine, only the logs will tell more about it.

If this is going to be like this forever, I will suggest let the system run with single controller than this hanging situation.

Again, you are in a very unsure condition, if you are ready to take the responsibility of business impact, then only you should proceed otherwise asking help from HP will be the best of the best solution. I am sure there are people in this forum can give u more options to try in this situation but it's just only a "TRY" no perfect solution. So think professionally and act according to business needs.
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Hi Amardeep,

The faulty and existing controllers have P/N: AD525A, but the new controller ( removed from the EVA in the DR site ) has P/N: AD525B. They are all HSV200.
Do you think the AD525B can be used to replace one of the AD525A controllers ?

Is is what may be causing the problem ?

Regards,
Berenger
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

That may well be the problem. I don't know the part numbers, however if I recall correctly there are two different variants of HSV200. One with 2Gb/s host ports, the other with 4Gb/s..

Cheers,

Rob
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Hi,

I've just gotten a new controller from HP to replace the defective one. Upon switching on the new controller the following message was displayed:
HP EVA OCP
COPYRIGHT 2005
This message has been there for one hour now.
Can somebody explain to me what is happening ?

Regards,
Berenger