Disk Enclosures
1748137 Members
3677 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to tell which partition is using which array...

Alan_72

How to tell which partition is using which array...

Hi,

I have a server with two identical Raid 5 arrays (4*36 gig drives). One of these partitions has now become redundant and I want to re-use the disks in another server.

So, I have two identical arrays with two identical partitions (in size) on the server, how can I be certain I delete the correct array?

TIA,

Alan.
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

Removing one drive will send the array to critical. Through you Array software or Firmware you can identify the group then and the logical drive. How the letter for the logical OS partition was assigned could have been anything, so you can now pull all the drives from one group A0 or A1 may be, and see the one you loose.
Just a thought
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

It will sound bad but here's how to do it if you are dual-pathing to the array and have configured this in your volume groups,..

either pull a cable or perform a software reset of the local interface card, and perform a vgdisplay -v of the volume groups. If no errors, you pulled the unused connection.

I am assuming from your description that one entire array is now redundant.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
Alan_72

Thanks for the responses so far! Just to clarify further:

Imagine a Server with 8 internal drives. In the array config utility you can see 3 Arrays A,B and C. A is the OS mirrored, B and C have been created both with 4 SCSI drives each in a RAID 5 (all drives are the same).

Looking at the server, you can see drive d and drive e, both identical in size.

Without physically taking out drives (i'd prefer little or no downtime), is there a way of saying that drive E is using the Array B or C?

Thanks,

Alan.
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

2 ways to determine which set of disks,...

1. Traceback - Confirm in the OS which devices are being seen, and their identification (eg SCSI address, etc). Trace the identification through the interface card to the Arrays, then look at the configuration of each Array and determine which contains the E drive from the path that is taken.

2. Load - If you have drive lights on the drives, load down the side you want to identify by copying a large file from or to it, and note which hard-drive lights come on brightly for a long period.

I would recommend option 1 - it means that if you don't know right now how the config is laid out for this type of array, and how your OS handles this, then you will know this by the end of the exercise.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user