1748180 Members
4155 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Hp 6g BL Sas switch can't see MDS600

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp 6g BL Sas switch can't see MDS600

I also just noted the other post referring to the SSA70.  I hadnt realized that this was a different model, but then again I hadnt heard of it before at all.

I guess that it would make sense if it was an older controller that it would not be seen properly by the SAS switches.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
drolfe
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Yes I can confirm that all blade server in the enclosure were powered down when trying to upgrade the firmware.

PLease see attached some photos that hp lvl2 support has asked for. It includes front and back pic of the MDS600/SSA70, hard drive details being used, sas cables and the part number of the IO modules installed.

See attached, sorry about the large jpgs

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I haven't been working on the MDS600 since I did that old FW upgrade.

Try to fellow the guidelines here:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3936272&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D1%257CswItem%253DMTX_0d1dc7ba966e46048c8f9c8784%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D4%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.v...

I gues you will have to use the GB switches, I don't know.

They recommend an older FW DVD.

You could try with the latest SPP: www.software.hp.com

Latest SPP is 2013.09.

There's a good cabling guide for the mds600 as well

Simple go to: www.hp.com/go/hpsc

enter MDS 600 in the search field.

You will find all kind of documentation and fw etc.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The product naming for this storage unit family has been very confusing...from SSA70, to MDS600 and now D6000!

All I can suggest here is that you probably need MDS600 specific controllers to be able to use this in a SAS switch environment.   The MDS600 I/O controllers have a spare p/n of 498472-001.  I can state that when using these controllers the "SSA70" terms are not shown in any of the outputs.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
tomas lovato
Occasional Advisor

I ordered on of these controllers and will test it when it arives on monday or tuesday. the front of my array show the SSA70 logo, as does the info from what i can see on the controller via the 3gb sas switch.

drolfe
Valued Contributor

This is a MDS600 badged unit that I've been looking at getting to replace the SSA70. See pictures attached below.

If you compare this unit to my unit you will notice:
1. That the part number is -007 not -001
2. The unit is also badged mds600 not ssa70
3. The release on the io modules handle is red not silver
4. The mds600 module has ports labeled "1" and "2" and the ssa70 has them labeled "in" and "out"
5. The io modules part numbers are different as below:

• MDS600 io module 498472-001 
• SSA70 io module 455508-001

It would be nice if the MDS600 IO modules (498472-001) worked in the SSA-70 enclosure but who knows until you try it?

Regards, Daniel

drolfe
Valued Contributor

I have a pair of MDS600 IO modules PN 498472-001 on their way to the DC now.

Will report back once they are tested in the SSA70
tomas lovato
Occasional Advisor

I just got back to my office, my 498472-001 came in the mail, i slapped them in my ssa70 and hooked it all up and low and behold its showing up in my sas 3g switch as a mds600. I onlt have two disks in the system currently, but its shows up!

not gonna spend any more time on this today, but atleast i have a solution(fingers crossed). This is the one that worked, that i picked up off of ebay.

drolfe
Valued Contributor

Thanks Tomas,

This is create news, Hopefully modules are only about a day away from the DC now.

Would might want to upgrate the module firmware now, I think 3.6 is the latest, your IO modules look to have 2.6

I'd be interested to know if you have the "update storage enclosure firmware" option under the maintain tab when selecting your sas switch.

Regards, Daniel
tomas lovato
Occasional Advisor

I dont see any way to upgrade the firmware on the mds600 controllers via the gui...

I went back and looked at your posts, my switches are the 3g ones. your are the 6g. maybe thats a difference.