1752489 Members
5630 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I'm not able to see a VA7400 from the host

Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

I'm not able to see a VA7400 from the host

After connecting a VA7400 and a HP-UX host to a Brocade 2800 switch, the 'armtopology/armdiscover' commands don't show anything.
Peraphs I have a problem with LUN0: during installation phase, command 'vfpfmt' gave me the message' Not enough drives'.
Please help, there is no documentation.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Aaron Tatone
Frequent Advisor

Is the Brocade Zoned? That could be a problem.

Are both devices attached to the Brocade? (I know dumb question, but I have to ask)

Also, verify that the switch and the VA7400 are both set at the same speed (1 Gbit/s). To do that on the VA7400, connect via serial cable and type "vfpmgr -S 1 -c 1". Repeat for the other controller (change the second 1 to 2)

To fix Lun0, connected via the serial cable and run vfpcfg -L 0 -d to remove LUN0. The recreated it (vgpcfg -L 0 -a ).

Hope this helps

Aaron
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Nothing to do.
I recreated LUN 0 with command you suggested but I'm still unable to see anything in 'armtopology' output.
Brocade switch is not zoned and already working with other hosts, disks and DLTs.

Other suggestions?

Thanks again
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

First, only 11.00 and 11i of hpux work on a va7400.

Try running

armdsp -i

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Stephan_K
HPE Pro

Hi,

are the FC port defined as Fabric
a) on the VA
b) on the brocade ?

I had the same problem and after I changed the topology on the va to fabric AND changed the port on the brocade (disable quick loop) armdisp -i showed the VA7400.

On the brocade "switchshow" must show the ports as "F-Port"

Hope this helps.
Regards
Stephan
I am an HPE employee.
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Both VA7400 and Brocade switch are configured as Fabric. VA seems correctly 'registered' on the switch.
'armdsp -i' gives nothing.
I think it is a problem with LUN0. I tried to delete LUN0 with 'vfpcfg -L 0 -d', to re-create it with 'vfpfmt' (it gives 'Not enough drives' message and then reinitialize array) and with 'vgpcfg -L 0 -a ...'

What else can I do?

Thanks again
Aaron Tatone
Frequent Advisor

Do you have all the requisite patches on the HP server? There is a list of patches in Installation manuals shipped with the va7400. Also, what version of firmware is on the VA7400, is it HP13 or earlier?
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Yes, I have HP13 firmware and Hardware Enablement and Critical Patches - September 2001 bundle.
I opened a support call with HP-Italy, it seems not a simple issue.

Thanks again
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

'armdiscover' dosn't show anything even if I attach the array directly to the host (without Brocade switch).

'ioscan -fn' shows controller/LUN0.

It seems a difficult issue,
I opened a support call with HP-Italy.

Thanks
Adam M. Schwaber
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem this week with a new VA7100 on an N4000 HPUX 11i. Ioscan showed the array but the arm...commands did not work. This was fixed by installing the 1.0.2 version of CommandView SDM. [www.hp.com/support/cvsdm]
Note that you MUST reboot after this update. If you don't see the array in CommandView, you need this update.

After rebooting, run
armdiscover -f