1753287 Members
5773 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I need to add a new HD to Proliant with Smart Array but not add it to the array

Sean_157

I need to add a new HD to Proliant with Smart Array but not add it to the array

Hello,
I have a Compaq Proliant (Win2K) with a Smart Array Controller (ver 1.42) currently running 3 18GB HDs in a Raid 5 array, I need to add a 4th 18GB HD to the server but I dont want the new drive to be part of the array. Does the Smart Array Configuration Utility have that option?

Thanks in advance,

Sean
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: I need to add a new HD to Proliant with Smart Array but not add it to the array

Sean:

Since the Smart Array will not automatically add the drive, you will have to go into the ACU and actually configure it.

Since you don't want to expand, you would simply create a new array with that one drive, then create a logical drive in the array so the os can access it.

As far as I can remember, you should be able to create a single drive array.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sean_157

Re: I need to add a new HD to Proliant with Smart Array but not add it to the array

Thanks Steven! I was hoping that was the answer. I was not sure if would allow you to create an array of 1 disk. I will give it a try.

Thanks again
e4services
Honored Contributor

Sean,
Every disk added to an array controller needs to be configured, unlike a simple controller where the controllers logical drive is created for each drive. Since the array controller has options, you need to configure a RAID0 logical drive for the single drive to make that available to the OS as new unconfigured disk space.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Sean_157

Thanks for the extra bit of information and explanation.