108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increasing diskspace on DL360 G3 in RAID1

SOLVED
Go to solution
martinvanlangen

Increasing diskspace on DL360 G3 in RAID1

Hi,

We currently have a HP Proliant DL360 G3 server with 2x 36GB disks in a RAID1 configuration with 1 logical drive. On the logical drive are two Windows NTFS partitions, one 10GB (C-drive), the other 26GB (D-drive).

To increase the diskspace on the server, I bought two 72GB disks to replace the two old ones. What are the possiblities to replace the two old disks with the new ones without loosing the data and to increase the D-partition with the extra amount of data.

Regards,

Martin van Langen
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Make sure you have a good backup, take a deep breath and rip out one of the disks. Replace it with a bigger one and wait for the rebuild to complete. Take another deep breath and repeat that for the second disk.

At the end of the rebuild you should have free space at the end of the disk array. I assume you're using a basic disk, so the next step would be to Extend (or was that called Expand?) the SmartArray's logical disk for the D: drive.

Rescan for new disks or just reboot the server. The enlarged drive should now display free space after the current partition.

Get hold of the DISKPART utility to increate the the D: partition:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/diskpart-o.asp
martinvanlangen

Uwe! Thanks, I going to give it a try. But first, a backup of the server ;-)

Regards,

Martin van Langen