2880 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing a RAID System on a HPN4000 Server with HP-UX 11.11 OS

Soeguet
Contributor

Installing a RAID System on a HPN4000 Server with HP-UX 11.11 OS

Hello together,

I'll install and configrate an RAID1 System on an HPN4000 machine with HP-UX 11.11 OS. As Hardware I've an Four Cannel RAID Contoller "A5856A" and an HP SureStore E Disk System SC10 with 10 Disks. I'll make 5 volumes mit Raidlevel "RAID1" on my system. So what must I do in details. Which software is required and can I configurate it with SAM after all required Software is installed ?

Bye bye
S.Soeguet
4 REPLIES 4
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You have to install the RAID card driver/software on the server first. Once the card is identified (CLAIMED), then you can use either the array utility or SAM for configuring the LUNs, RAID level and disks.

Also check for any patches that comes latest.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Hanniff Tingling
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Also consider the following;

run 'ioscan' to verify that the Sytem has 'CLAIMED' the SC10 disk subsystem. Verify that the 'ioscan' report says CLAIMED for the 'S/W State' field. It is does not then there are some problems;

Remember that all the disk in a SC10 Subsystem should have its own unique SCSI-ID, 0-15 and 7 usually reserved for the HBA. There are dip switches on the disk so that you can set their SCSI ID.

Also make sure SCSI Bus is properly terminated.

Good luck!!!

Once that is done - use SAM to config LUNs etc.
Hanniff Tingling
Occasional Advisor

NOTE:

DIP switch are on the BCC (Bus Control Card) not on HDD as mentioned.... also - SCSI-ID will depend on the BUS Mode used. (BUS - split or full) IDs 0-3 and 8-13 for full bus mode; split is a bit different - not quite sure; however it has more to do with "Address High switch settings"; - don't remember this ID changes- maybe someone can post a response on the ID order when the BUS mode used is set to split-mode.

The idea however is to make sure you don't have any conflicts on the BUS.

If you have any trouble - post and you will get help!!!
Eric Ladner
Trusted Contributor

That is a RAID 4si card.

There is a configuration utility called IRM that is used to set up the array. You will want to do the mirrored volumne setup in irm, not with Sam. Then, you can see the 5 volumes in sam and configure them like regular disks.

See http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/J6173-90002/J6173-90002_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/J6173-90002/00/00/16-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/J6173-90002/00/00/16-toc.html&searchterms=raid%7c4%7csi%7cirm&queryid=20020226-104503