108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Integrating VMware DL385G1's to MSA2000 storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Integrating VMware DL385G1's to MSA2000 storage

I have 2 x DL385G1 with DAS. These are two VMware 3.5 hosts. I'm proposing to install FC HBA's into these and then migrate the Virtual Machines onto the new VMFS on the MSA2000. Is this feasible to do without destroying the current VMFS?

I want to be able to use VMware HA/DRS and VCB once I have done this as currently they are seperate datastores. Currently using VI3.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Integrating VMware DL385G1's to MSA2000 storage

Hi Carl,

Yes. Once you've got your two Vmware servers seeing the shared storage you should be able to migrate the Virtual Machines onto the new shared VMFS.

Cheers,
Rob
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Many thanks.

How do I assign points? I don't seem to have an option.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Carl, you are using 2 different user accounts (one that starts with CA and the other with BR - click both of your names in this thread ;-)

A server can easily access local (nonshared) and shared VMFSes at the same time.
If you have a Virtual Center Management Server, you can let it do the job via a cold migration, or if you like it a bit more complicated, use Storage Vmotion. At least there is no need to move everything manually.

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Uwe

Yes, I was hoping to be able to use VMotion to do this. This is my primary reason for moving to shared storage.

I do have two accounts but I do not really understand why, could this be limiting my experience on ITRC?
CLEB
Valued Contributor

answer above