Disk Enclosures
1752579 Members
3419 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is SAS duplexing on P2000 supported?

Is SAS duplexing on P2000 supported?

Hi,

I have two DL380 G7 servers with W2k8R2SP1 installed. And P2000 G3 SAS with two SAS controllers (A and B, four SAS ports each).

Two dual port HP SC08e 6Gb SAS HBA reside on each of two DL380 G7 servers.

Each serwer has two SAS connections to the array. First to controller A on P2000. Second to controller B on P2000.

The first server is connected to ports A1 and B2. The second server is connected to ports A3 and B4.

MPIO is installed on the servers.

Because of two HP SC08e 6Gb SAS HBA controllers on each I decided to connect A1 and B2 ports on the first server to first ports on two DIFFERENT HBAs. The same was made on the second server. Ports A3 and B4 are connected to first ports on two DIFFERENT HBAs.

Everything seems to work O.K. but I have both P2000 controllers in the warning state. Examining details - ports A1 and B4 are in the warning state.

Moreover - I can see four hosts instead of two expected.

I mapped volumes for first server to A1 and B2 ports. And volumes for the second server to A3 and B4 ports. (No shared storage is required in the system.)

My problem are the warnings on the SAS controllers. Is my configuration supported? Maybe I have to move both SAS cables to the same HBA on each server? But it makes a single point of failure...

Jakub

6 REPLIES 6
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Below HP Guide clarifies the connections. Can you confirm if you have followed this?

P2000 G3 MSA System Installation Instructions

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02254461/c02254461.pdf

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!

Hi Hari,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I did not follow the instruction you mentioned.

I made the cabe installation according to newer document:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02254382/c02254382.pdf

On the page 38 you can find a picture with different cabling schema for two servers than in your document.

But it is still one-HBA per server case. I have dual HBA per server configuration. And I cannot find such an example in both documents.

I attach both cabling proposals in the attachments.

Jakub 

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jakub,

The examples shown in the documents are for Single HBA with dual path. This is similar to having two HBAs with single path. You are seeing 4 hosts, as the connection is coming from different HBAs. There should be no problem with the configuration.

What is the error message/warning visible on MSA?

Regards,
Hari

Enclosure:

Health: Degraded

Health Reason: The enclosure is degraded; see health and health reason for individual components

Controller A:

Health Reason: (empty)

Controller B:

Health Reason: (empty)

Port A1:

Health Reason: Host port is OK

Port B4:

Health Reason: Host port is OK

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

I have seen such issues with health status when some cables are not matching the specification. Please check the link below and confirm the SAS cables you are using in your setup.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13551_div/13551_div.HTML

Apart from this I have no clue why MSA should give warning like this.

Regards,
Hari

StigE
Occasional Visitor

I am having exactly the same issue, did you come up with any solution?