108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Jamaica Box Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Lewis_3
Occasional Contributor

Jamaica Box Installation

Hello, I have a HP3000 929KS. I currently have (4) 9 gig drives internally (1 in system volume and 3 in data volume). I would like to hook a Jamaica box with additional drives, and make them part of my data volume set. Any easy place to find a how to? I plan on doing a backup, but after adding this Jamaica box, is a restore needed? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!!! Jeff
6 REPLIES 6
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

After connecting up the Jamaica, with system power off, power up jamaica, power up server, login:

run an ioscan -fnkCdisk
The device files and new hardware should be detected.. You should have device files now for each disk in the jamaica.

You can do a
dd if=/dev/dsk/cXtYd0 of=/dev/null
to read from the disk and output to null.
You'll see lights on the disk blinking that corresponds to that disk device file.

Before you can use the disks effectively you need to prepare them for lvm use with pvcreate, then add them to a volume group (either one that already exists, or create a new vg)

You can add it to your data volume group with sam for example, or commandline with pvcreate, vgextend and then use lvcreate to create a logical volume that you can put a filesystem on.

Use lvcreate -?
to see if you have lvm's mirrordisk/us installed. If you see the -m option, you do.
Jamaicas are really usefull for mirroring data.
Performance depends on how you cable them up.. ie do you use two busses or just one. ie 8 disks per bus, or 4 disks on 2 busses.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
paul courry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Uh ...Bill? This is an HP *3000*. Things are a little different under MPE.

Do the following:

1. Shut off the system
2. Attach the SCSI cables to the box, no more than 10 per SCSI card is this is a FW, 5 if it's Narrow.
3. Stick a support tape that has ODE on it in your DDS drive.
4. Boot from tape.
5. Run ODE.
6. Under ODE type RUN MAPPER. Take the defaults. It will take 10 seconds per possible SCSI address on each card.
7. Verify your SCSI addresses and make sure that everything is visible. If not, fix.
8. Reboot the system from disk.
9. Go into SYSGEN, add the disks.
10. Boot from disk.
11. Do a DSTAT ALL
12. Go into VOLUTIL
13. Add your drives as you wish.
14. No restore is necessary. The way disk space is allocated is that the drive with the most free space gets the data, eventually everything evens out. However, if you are concerned about load balancing, by all means reload the data for the volume(s) where you added the drives only (excepting the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET).
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

oops I didn't see that, I should read the questions more carefully..
Good luck!

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Jeff,

1. Shutdown your system.
2. PowerOff the entire system.
3. Set the right value to your SCSI IDs ( in the back of the Jamaica "HASS" chasis ).
4. Connect your Jamaica.
5. Cable your Jamaica.
6. PowerOn your Jamaica.
7. PowerOn your system and boot.
8. Ioscan
9. Disks must be CLAIMED.
10. mkdir /dev/vgxx
11. mknod /dev/vgbackup/group c 64 0x090000
12. pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c#t#d#
Notice :
a. Repeat it for each disk in Jamaica.
b. The raw device in rdsk.
13. vgcreate vgxx
/dev/dsk/c#t#d# /dev/dsk/c#t#d#
14. lvcreate -n lvxx /dev/vgxx
15. lvextend -L /dev/vgxx/lvxx
/dev/dsk/c#t#d# /dev/dsk/c#t#d#
You can have 1 or more disks for the same logical volume /dev/vgxx/lvolxx ( in this example , they are 2 disks and you have to give values to each controller, target and partition.
16. newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgxx/rlvxx

And then you got your Jamaica configured and ready to receive data.

(Points ... .:))) ).
Magdi

Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again Jeff,

Point 15 is not :
dev/vgxx/lvolxx
But
dev/vgxx/lvxx

Sorry.

Magdi
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Magdi,

You and Bill did the same thing. This is an HP3000, running MPE/iX. This is not unix!!!