1751720 Members
4487 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L1000s, ServiceGuard, and Shared Storage

Steve Shoopak
Occasional Contributor

L1000s, ServiceGuard, and Shared Storage

I have two L1000s, running HP-UX 11.0, and this is my dilemma: I would like to run ServiceGuard between the two machines, and configure a shared drive array between the boxes. Any recommendations on a drive array, and if there are any gotchas regarding SCSI initiators, etc, for L1000s?
NOTE: Root will be local to the machine, and mirrored with Mirror-UX on a per machine basis. It's just the application ware that needs to be shared.

Thanks,
Steve
Life is the paradigm of enigma.
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

No major problem to do what you are after, but it depends on the amount of storage you are after, and whether you want to use LVM mirroring, or go fo a RAID array.
Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I would suggest you visit :
http://www.docs.hp.com and have a look at the High Availability manuals, or even better. have a chat with a good sales person.
I think your first move would be to define how much disc you need , and what sort of growth you may experience.

HTH
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

I have done a simlar thing with a HP HA disk unit, these are good for a small amount of disk space but if you want something bigger have a look at an EMC or and XP256
Minimum effort maximum output!
Ramesh Donti
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
We have 2 L1000's configured into a single cluster and sharing XP256 thru fibre channel.
It works fine. We don't have any problems from the day it is installed.
keep in mind to install all the latest patches in the systems.
Always Keep Smiling
Ramesh Donti
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
We have 2 L1000's configured into a single cluster and sharing XP256 thru fibre channel.
It works fine. We don't have any problems from the day it is installed.
keep in mind to install all the latest patches in the systems.
Always Keep Smiling
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Consider also whether you want to have the servers some distance apart for resilience (separate fire zones maybe).

Fibre channel supports much longer cable lengths than SCSI.

You would also have to have some sort of mirrored disk setup so that you could survive the loss of one server and its half of the disks.

Regards,

John