5588 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LUN EVA

AleDC
Occasional Contributor

LUN EVA

Hi!!!

The operating system (windows, linux, hpux) supports lun of 2TeraBytes?

greetings

Ale
6 REPLIES 6
JAguilar
Frequent Advisor

I know that Windows and HPUX can suport the 2Tb LUN, but I would not recommmend it. My environment has been on an EVA3000 and and EVA8000. Your better off splitting the load of the capacity into say 10x200Gb Luns and if possible over multiple HBA's or HBA ports. Additionally you may need to run the diskpar utility for Windows as it doesn't format the appropriate number of sectors, thus causing redundant and useless rights to the LUNS everytime you need to right data. As for Linux I can't speak to. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jose Aguilar-Systems Engineer
SunGard Availability Services,Inc.
Semper Fidelis
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The ext3 file system (linux native) can support file systems of 32 TiB.

Anyway, how do you handle 2 TB of backup in a single LUN? And the restore?

Consider split the LUN in smaller parts.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
NDD

The best thing is to split it, but if you do not wish this, and are thinking of snapshot or snapclone/mirrorclone remeber that if the data is a database table, you will have problems rebuilding it from a snapXXX
If the LUN has stabile data..do several snaps during the day and inc at night..no problem for us
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Windows 2003 SP1 introduced support for LUNs >2TB.

See the following article for the details.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/LUN_SP1.mspx

However, handling large LUNs can make life difficult (fsck, backup, restore etc.)

And, the EVA currently "only" supports LUNs up to 2TB. Stay tuned for a change ...

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

One more problem I can think is with the Scsi queue Depth. The default queue depth is only 8 which can be little too short for a lun of size 2 TB.

Ofcourse, you can increase the queue depth if you indeed decided to go with 2 TB.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the above post on the queue depth is only applicable to HP-UX hosts.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?