4126 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LUSE on VMWare ESX

avamar11
Frequent Advisor

LUSE on VMWare ESX

Hi ,
Due to space constraints ,we created a LUSE of 3 LUNS (20 GB each from different Parity Group ) and presented it VMware server 3.5 Now VMware sees it as 3 different disk each of 20 GB .
Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance ...
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can combine them into one datastore by using extents (it is not RAID-0 but concatination).
Create a VMFS datastor on the first disk. Select this datastore's properties and a new windows should pop up. There is a button which allows you to [add extent].
avamar11
Frequent Advisor

thanks ...it can resolve the issue .but i would like to know why LUSE is showing as 3 different disk ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Maybe we use different terminology, but 3 LUNs make up 3 visible disks to me. You don't say what storage array is involved, but some boxes allow the concatination to happen _inside_ the array and present it as one external LUN/disk. I think EMC calls this a 'meta-LUN'.
krusty
Honored Contributor

A LUSE is a combination of 2 or more LDEVs (that's what the XP calls the "chucks of space" inside the array) as one LUN. It is most commonly used for Windows environments.

I do not know how the VMWare kernel can "see inside the LUN" and see there are three LDEVs. When you present the LUSE, you give it a LUN # (probably "0" since you only have one LUN) so I don't know if you did it correctly. If you present the three LDEVs as three LUNs (0,1,2) then it is not a LUSE.

Could you verify that is the case?

Cheers,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You must have set up individual LUNs and did not include the LDEVs properly in a LUSE.
A LUSE is always seen as one LUN only!

Dont forget to set the host mode to 21 - VMware Extension.

See the LUN Manager Guide on http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01956284/c01956284.pdf

Cheers
XP-Pete
I love storage