Disk Enclosures
1748263 Members
3678 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Limit on number of snaps per server?

Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Limit on number of snaps per server?

Is there a limit on the number of snaps per server (Window 2008, EVA 8400)?
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I am not aware of a snap limit with windows.
The max snapshots supported by eva8400 per lun is currently 64.
Mark..
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

I have a scenerio where a Windows 2008 server has 28 disk, each has 14 snaps (392 snaps). In a round robin fashion, the 15th snap should be created and the 1st deleted to always have 14 available. Instead I'm getting the message "Number of copies requested is greater than the number of available repositories 14". Any ideas??
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Assume snapclones not snapshots as clones use a repository.

Sounds like the repository being deleted is not available for reuse when requested. If you are scripting (using SSSU) you might need to check it's available (or have a pool of 15 repositories per snapclone)
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
Sounds like you are using RSM then to do your snapshots for you? Assuming that you are then I would suggest that you do a snapshot of one of your vdisks that has 14 snaps on it from Command View (CV) and not RSM. If the snap completes then it may be a feature in RSM that has a limit on the amount of snapshots per volume that can be kept in the repository for a volume and not the EVA/CV that is the issue.
If you do not wish to use a production volume then just create a new Vdisk and try it out with that - any size small Vdisk will do.
It may be worth checking that you are using the latest version of CV and RSM as well.
You can get the latest versions of both from here -if required:
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=SWSDED

I would also have a look at the RSM "version" documentation that you are using to see if there is a limit to do with RSM.

Mark...

Cib - repositories ARE for SNAPSHOTS not snapclones
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mark,
Correct, I am using RSM. I deleted the snaps back to 11. I still got the error even though I was creating the 12th, and we had 14 repositories at one time. On the 13th run it finally created a new replica repository. The next step will tell if it deletes the oldest.
Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mark, it's working now - â Replica:09-Mar-2011 02.58.04 is deleted from replica repository: RR-Apparel (Disk15P1)â I think it was caused by a change in scripts. Thank you!

Joan Blais
Frequent Advisor

Problem solved.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi Joan,
No problem, sounds like you have it sorted now.
Mark...