5766 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Logical Drive extension not possible ??

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Logical Drive extension not possible ??

Hi,

We are installing a set of Proliant ML570 servers containing a bunch of 9 GB disks connected to a 4200 array controller. According to the specifications, this controller should be able to support logical drive extension. However, when we try to extend our RAID-5 logical drive (using the array configuration tool, installed from the latest smartstart CD supplied with these servers) , we get a message that extension is impossible because 'this controller does not support logical drive extension'. We think we have installed the right Windows NT4 array driver.

Can anyone help us out here ? This can become a big problem for the customer. We need logical drive extension.

best regards,

Marco
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Logical Drive extension not possible ??

hi
this is a feature of acu 2.50b - use smartstart 4.80 to downgrade (smartstart cd -> cpqsupsw\ntssd -> setup) the acu or wait for smartstart 5.0 (will you ?)
the reason is: there is a problem with win 2000 and expanding drives. so they disabled this - and they disabled win 4.0 as well.
there is nothing wrong with your hw.

ernesto - compaq server training - germany
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Do I understand "Logical Drive Ext" correctly to mean that I can expand the size of an existing drive letter under NT or is it just that I can expand the drive that the hw presents to NT (but would need to recreate the NT logical drive or use NT spanning,e tc). I ask because I too tried to expand an array, but then got the message that I would have to recreate the partition.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Pls ignore my last reply - I was in error. It DID allow me to do logical drive extension after all.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Ernesto, Thanks for your good information. We now at least know what our options are here. - Marco
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Actually - I've also seen this happen with various controllers - IF you have only one array (logical drive) and partitioned the array at the OS level for C: and other drives. I'm not sure that backdating the ACU will make any difference if that's the case here.