1748017 Members
3683 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lun configs on EVA 4000

Bhushan Bumber
Frequent Advisor

Lun configs on EVA 4000

I am installing a new HP-UX UNIX server( 2 CPU X 800Mhz - 4GB RAM HPUX 11i V2 64 bit as standby server, with EVA 4000) and after that i have to configure oracle apps.Thanks to please tell the best practices to create lun .suppose i create three VG's how many lun should i create.
Points will be given to best suitable answer.
Best Regards
Bhushan
living for unix,with unix
There is a solution to every problem.
6 REPLIES 6
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

First, you must create a Vdisk, The best way is one by VG. You select the Raid Level and Capacity. Creates all the Vdisk you need, When all was created, you must present vdisk to Host (Is important to identify the Host in EVA, in HPUX with "fcmsutil /dev/xxxx" command)
Also You must install in HPUX Secure Path Software.

Good Luck, Jorge
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You should create luns acording to your space requeriments/availability.

Things to consider:

1- Do no create too big vdisk, if the vdisk fails, it may take too long to restore from a backup. We create 500 GB vdisks.

2- Create enough vdisks to fairly balance I/O between controllers, you can set the preferred controller for a vdisk.

3- Create the LVs or filesystems considering backup strategies, like frecuency, so static data should be on a filesystem and dynamic data on another, then static data is saved less frecuently.

4- Consider the mount options, you can mount a filesytem as read only, so applications won't be modified as an example.

The filesystem/lvs/luns requirements are very specific for every installation. Your brain will do the real job.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
generic_1
Respected Contributor

Create small likesized vdisks/luns. Id use like 10 gig. Extend them into a vg.
Create LV with -i -I and use 1024 as the size for oracle.
Bhushan Bumber
Frequent Advisor

Thanks gurus for the response,
Has somebody of you worked on EVA.Please tell me the steps or reference which will help me for the configurations.I have worked on EMC and RA8000 but no basics of EVA.
Also tell if i have to take some special or precautionary steps.Thanks in advance.
cheers
bhushan
There is a solution to every problem.
Piyush Verma_1
Advisor

Dear Bhushan,

The LUN creation, presentation and mounting invlolves the following steps:

1. Log in to the SMA (through direct console or through Web Browser and go to Command View EVA.

2. Command view should automatically discover the storage system (EVA) that u are having and it'll show the disk and space details.

3. Form a disk group of disks as required.

4. Add hosts to the storage system on the basis of node names (obtained by #fcmsutil /dev/fcd* command).

5. Carve out Vdisks from the disk groups with RAID & size as desired, and present them to the desired hosts.

6. From the hosts' side the discovery and mounting is same as in any storage. the Vdisks will be visible as independent disks to the server. If you are using multiple paths to the storage, Securepath shoul be installed or else you will have to mask FC paths.

The procedure is given in the Command View EVA guide available on the HP site.

Hope it helps.

With Regards

Piyush
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the EVA documentation site, download and carefully read the best practices.

There you will find information about best practices related to availability, performance, cost.

See attached file.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?