108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: M5314X FC Drive Enclosures

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Thanks for clarification. I got the info, that you can mix B and C enclosures in an EVA, on an HP training. But it's some months ago.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

awesome replies everyone!

I've dished out some points accordingly!

Whats the deal with I/O Module type 1 then?

Failure is NOT an Option.
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Also is that type 2 in A's and type 3 in B's or could you expect to see A's with type 3's in and B's with type 2's in?

Essentially I just want to work out what models we have!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> Whats the deal with I/O Module type 1 then?

Maybe it was built into the M5214 (232113-B21, 278254-B21 with I&S) enclosure that was used on the first-generation EVA-5000).
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Uwe,

I've done some googling and that seems to be the case!!

Cheers!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Putting it another way:

M5314 is the old enclosure used in EVA3000/5000 with type 1 modules

M5314A is the one with EPBC modules used in EVA4000/6000/8000. I/O modules type 2

M5314B is the same but RoHS compliant, modules type 3

M5314C is the new one with CTS (type 4) modules for EVAx100.

Type 2 and type 3 can be used on the same EVA if it's not RoHS compliant (they are functionally, but not legally equivalent)
Bakame
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I tried to ask a question to a guy that had written of his success using a 5314B enclosure in a direct server and array stand alone environment being able to see and use all disks.. Unfortunately however I got the following message:

Sorry, you are not allowed to post in an area marked read-only.

Not sure why I seem to be able to ask you a question. Here goes! Thank you for the advice on the difference between the 5314 A B and C. I also was at a loss with what I have and cannot find a single reference on the hardware but the original unit stood about 6 feet with 12 drive bays. (I only have 4)

Using a QLA2300 card in a 2003 server I cannot detect any drives whatever I do. If you could suggest what I am doing wrong it would be very much appreciated.

PS The card works OK with other ealier vintage disk enclosures I have..

Regards,

Ian Chalker

@Patrick Terlisten wrote:
Hello,

die M5314A and the M5314A are identical, but the M5314B is RoHS compliant. The M5314A is no longer available. The M5314C has a new IO module (cut through switched). You can mix B and C enclosures in an EVA.

Best regards,
Patrick

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You want to connect this enclosure directly to a server without EVA controllers?

You know, this is highly unsupported and even if it would work today, tomorrow it could fail and all your data could be lost.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bakame
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for warning.

I never rely on one source of backup and am not worried about any loss of data at this juncture. It will be a BIG learning curve but  I cannot conceive of any other way to connect directly from the server to the array. There are only two ports on A and two on B - how can people say that they are able to see and work with disks in a stand alone environment. What am I doing wrong?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I tried to ask a question to a guy that had written of his success .... however I got the following message:  you are not allowed to post in an area marked read-only.

Older threads from the ITRC that were closed, were set to read only.

The current topic is over 2.5 years old and the authors may no longer be around.

You may want to create a new topic with links to older ones with info that may be useful.