4925 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MA6000 HP-UX LUN-id > 7 not seen

Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

Hello again,
Eugeny, I did not get whether You mean "You know what're You talking about" or "You are completely off" >:-| please explain or I will feel
However, I think that if You set CCL presentation in SCSI2 mode, the LUN0 is a virtual presentation done by the controller. If You create physical LUN0 and present it to the host, You mask the CCL device LUN and query will not get consistent results. In SCSI3 mode, the CCL device would migrate to other LUN number, basically the next one not used / which also would prevent HPUX from querying, as HPUX is able to query only LUN0 as CCL... BR and nice day, Vladimir
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Vladimir, please excuse me if I said something incorrectly. I mean that YOU are absolutely RIGHT (positive meaning :oP )
Agree, definitely it should be SCSI2. But creating LUN 0 is good idea. Look at the ioscan Kurt attached. There's no LUN 0, even virtual!
Eugeny
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

Okay, the problem can be also me not being native speaker, so not getting the slight differences in english language :)
The LUN0 is not visible because I guess the HSG ctrl is in SCSI2, NO_CCL mode. I believe this is default on the device. So switching the CCL on with a command SET THIS COMMAND_CONSOLE_LUN should solve the query lun visibility. If You create LUN0 as a physical device with ADD UNIT D0 ..., it is not CCL and the query will in most cases not work as the lun is not giving the ux an information it is the fcparray device as You have said previously. BR, Vladimir
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

hmm, sorry to keep this thread longer and longer. Forgot to say that the ccl should be set the same on both ctrls, so after set this command_console_lun You need to put set other command_console_lun, plus, after a change of ccl presentation the ctrls need to be restarted with restart other, restart this commands. That should be all. then ioscan -fnCdisk on the hpux and please attach the results. BR, Vladimir
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Attached is the latest ioscan -fnC disk. There is now a LUN 0 (LUN 1 is the other new LUN). This is one of the 2 new LUN's that has production databases on it. I still have troubles to follow the reasoning of Eugeny and Vladimir.

Kurt
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

okay, is the LUN0 a physically created lun or is it the CCL device? have You run the set this command_console_lun command? If Yes, You should be able to see luns above 7 by now...
so in full ioscan, you should be seeing fc devices with 1.16.255.0.0.0 and 1.16.255.xx.yy.0 (where xx and yy if a translated AL_PA), both of them for lun0 and zz.0.0.0 with zz being Your AL_PA of the controller, also for lun0. If You see these, the device does so called volume set addressing which allows for the querying luns above 7. If You create lun 8 and do ioscan -fnCdisk, You should see a new disk device with 1.16.zz.0.1.0 If not, I start to feel there is something between Heaven and Earth...
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

The LUN 0 is a physically created LUN that contains production databases.

I'll check with the responsible of the MA6000 if the command_console_lun has been set on the controllers of the MA6000 and update the thread when I know more.

Thanks for your assistance so far,
Kurt
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

Hello again,

as You are using LUN0 for existing data (production database), the command_console_lun is probably disabled, if the array is in SCSI2 mode. Be aware that You would need to move the existing LUN to a different lun number before You enable the command console lun, otherwise You are about to lose access to Your data! in scsi2, CCL can be only LUN0 and will mask whatever lun exists as lun0. In SCSI3, CCL would migrate to next available lun number, but for HPUX, You cannot use other than 0 again... So, correct steps>
1. stop production DB
2. change LUN number for volume unit on lun 0 (present it as a different lun number
3. enable ccl
4. restart controller
5. mount production db lun and restart app
6. ioscan -fn
7. You should see the CCL as mentioned above
8. create lun8
9. ioscan
10. You should see the 16.0.1.1 disk device...

hmmmm, BR, Vladimir
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Vladimir,

thanks for the good advise. I still have to discuss it with the collegue who configured the MA6000 and we will make sure to change the LUN number of the currently LUN 0 to another LUN number prior to enabling the CCL. Stop the database, vgexport the volume group, change the LUN number and vgimport it again. I've learned again some new things at the forums.

Kurt