108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G5 - P400 redundancy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salvatore Candela
Occasional Advisor

ML370 G5 - P400 redundancy

I am upgrading from Proliant 6000 to ML370 G5. My current server has redunant 3100ESs on it.

Does the ML370 G5 with P400 support this configuration (redundant controllers)?

Do I just plug the new controller in and setup thru the BIOS?

If I use it as redundant controllers, do I lose the option of installing the second cage and HDs later?

Thanks,

SPC
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G5 - P400 redundancy

What exactly do you mean by "My current server has redunant 3100ESs on it". I don't think the 3100ESs can be set up in any kind of redundancy setup, I think you mean that you have two 3100ESs.
What kind of storage do you have now on the 6000, internal and external, and how is it configured?
The ML370 has a P400 for the first 8 internal disks. If you want to add another 8 disks on the internal cage you need a secon P400. And similarly for any externally connected storage.
See http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12478_na/12478_na.html
Salvatore Candela
Occasional Advisor

The Proliant 600 DOES have redundant 3100ES.It has two 3100ES's. A primary and a "backup".

They show up that way when the server boots up. It says, "the 3100es in slot xx is redunant to slot xx" (or something like that).

If the primary 3100es fails, the secondary would then take over without any user intervantion, lost of data, etc.

The ACU also shows them as being redundant.

The 6000 has all internal drive (18)taken with the OS being mirrored (2), the rest are configered in 5 drives in a RAID 5 array (17), and one hot spare(1).

This was great setup, as I never had to worry if the controller died without any warning and I was not around to change it out.

It would be great if this server (or controller) had the same capability.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i can't find any mention of the smart array redundancy software which i presume you are using for windows later than win2k or other later smart array cards on the hp site.
to gain similar functionality now you would have to use an msa2000 or host based mirroring.

hth

TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

The 3100ES redundancy is achieved by the add-on software "HP ProLiant Array Redundancy Software" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I15652&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The software relies on the fact that the disk drives are dual ported and are connected to both 3100ES controllers at the same time.
I have not heard of such software for the new smart array controllers and HP was using single port SAS drives until very recently. I guess that HP might be coming out with a redundant controller setup because very recently all internal SAS drives for the G6 servers are dual ported and there is no more single port drive option available. For the ML370G5 both single and dual port SAS drives are available. But getting dual port drives does not guarantee anything unless the internal cage is wired so that both controllers are connected to each port of each drive and the software is available to drive this setup. There is nothing like taht mentioned in http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12478_div/12478_div.html
Salvatore Candela
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,

It is not a software solution, but a hardware solution, which I prefer to use.

I was using this server with Windows NT Server until 2003, and then I installed SBS 2003 on it, and it has been up and running flawlessly since 1999/2000.

I believe this "redundancy" was built into the Proliant 6000 server and/or BIOS as the 3100ES has special slots that needed to be use, and the "redundancy" is selected in the BIOS. As I stated before, the redundancy is clearly shown when the server boots up. Also, the P400 has cables to the drive cage, while the 3100ES just plugs into the MB.

Thanks for your input.
Salvatore Candela
Occasional Advisor

TTr,

Thanks for your help in this.

Looks like I will just have to purchase a spare P400 and keep it handy, and never leave the ML370 alone. LOL

Agian, thanks for your help!!

SPC