4956 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 RAID5 Configuration

Junji
Advisor

ML570 RAID5 Configuration

Hi,

I have new HP ML570 G3 newly purchase server with 5 300GB SCSI HD. It has built-in Embedded Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI controller but when try to configure RAID through SmartStart, there were no controller was detected. I want to implement hardware RAID5 using all 5 disk or RAID 1 for the first two disk and RAID5 for the remaining 3. Is it possible to use hardware RAID? Thanks.

Jun
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Amador:

You probably do not want to hear this, but you probably do NOT have a RAID controller (a Smart Array Controler). Your built in Dual Channel SCSI is just that, a SCSI controller with no RAID functionality. You will be limited to software RAID technologies unless you get an Array Controller.

Depending on your needs... you can select from various models...

If you just need RAID internally, then the 6i or 641 should do the job. If you need external storage as well, the 642, 6402 or 6404 will be the choice, depending on how many external drives you think you might need.

Click here for Smart Array Controlers... http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/index.html

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Junji
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. We will have to purchase smart array controller then for us to have added data protection using RAID. Again, thanks.

Jun
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Jun

ML570 G3 server does not have RAID controller by default that is why you see such messages. You may procure one of following smart array controllers from HP supplier , install and then use ACU to configure RAID:

Smart Array 6402/128 Controller
273915-B21
Smart Array 6404/256 Controller
273914-B21
Smart Array 641 Controller
291966-B21
Smart Array 642 Controller

Regards
Mahesh
Junji
Advisor

Hi,

I review all available HP RAID controller and I think for our use, SA641 controller will suffice. I am now trying to setup using software RAID while I don't have yet the RAID controller. Thanks.

Jun
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Software WRAID is ok, but youwill still need to blow away whatever you do once you get the Array Controller.

It could be a good "hands on" experience as you get the play with the equipment until that time.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Junji
Advisor

Hi,

One last question. I know that there are many advantages of using hardware RAID than software RAID. But, if I use hardware RAID and the HDD with Win2000 OS are already have data and in production, my OS get corrupted. Will I recover the data in HD upon reinstallation of OS. Because if not, then I think the only adavantage of using hardware RAID is speed. I already google some info on it but see no explanation on it. Please help. Thanks.

Jun
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Evey RAID software used either software or embedded in hardware will have its own way of configuring the disks in compliance with RAID technology. Hence if something goes wrong with that piculier data or algorithm on the disk other than usable data , then only OEMs can rebuild that structure.

As long as that structure is ok, you can recover your OS or any other user data from RAID disks.
Hardware RAID structure recovery is quite tedious than software RAID recovery.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There is more to Hardware RAID then just speed. Having a Smart Array controller allows you to:

1. Relieve the OS from having to worry about RAID calculations.
2. Enhances your Read/Write capabilities with cache memory
3. Allows for easy online expansion, if needed.
4. Allows easy recovery of failed drives, assuming you did not lose ALL your drives, or enough to cause data loss.
5. I am sure there are more reasons.

Potentially, in either RAID solution, if you corrupted your OS... there is a chance that you would not be able to recover any data, probably more so with software RAID since it relies on the OS for the RAID Configuration. With hardware RAID, you could potentially slip those drives into a working machine and the Smart Array Controller would know that it was a RAID'ed set of drives and you'd be able to access them, unless the file system was corrupted as well.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Junji
Advisor

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the information, its a big help to me. Thanks again

Jun