Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 1000 Direct Connectivity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Navaneeda
Regular Advisor

MSA 1000 Direct Connectivity

HI,

Can i connect the MSA 1000 directly from my server without the SAN Swithces ???

How many servers i can connect directly to MSA 1000 without SAN Switch.

How the Active and redundant controllers are interconnected???

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSA 1000 Direct Connectivity

The MSA1000 can have 4 kinds of FC connectivity module on the back:
- Single port I/O module
- MSA Hub 2/3 (2 external connections)
- MSA SAN Switch 6 (5 external connections, no longer sold)
- MSA SAN Switch 2/8 (brocade switch, 7 external ports)

You can connect servers to all of them. You can also use 2 of them, to have redundant paths.

The MSA controllers communicate through the internal backplane. Currently they can work on Active/Passive mode (firmware 5.20) or Active/Active mode (firmware 7.20)
Navaneeda
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

How many Direct FC ports in MSA 1500. I have gone throug the Specs and it shows that only 1 port available. IS it correct??

Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

The MSA1500 is different. The controllers can have 1 or 2 fiber channel I/O modules (1 port each).
You can attach a server directly to MSA1500 too, but these enclosures are designed to be used on a SAN, providing storage to several servers.
If you're only going to connect one of two servers, it's better and cheaper a MSA500 G2, which is connected through SCSI cables.

Check MSA1500 quickspecs here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11945_div/11945_div.html
Manley Loving
Occasional Visitor

Hello,
Does anyone know if the MSA Firmware 5.20 is specifically recommended not to be installed on a MSA1000 with the older MSA SAN Switch 6 installed? I'm aware that we don't sell the MSA Switch 6, but has there been any notices saying to not upgrade the controller firmware past 4.24 if this switch is installed? I was told just the other day from a HP engineer, that he heard that the 5.20 firmware does not support that Switch 6, but we can't definitely say if that's true.

Does anyone know about this?