1753797 Members
7524 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 Transfer Speed

dewitte64
Advisor

MSA 1000 Transfer Speed

I'm curious - I have an MSA 1000 with 14 146 gig drives configured into 3 raid 10 groups (4 each + 2 spares total). When I transfer a 30 gig file from the SAN over to the local Drive D on my DL380 -OR- from one of the SAN logical drives to another - it takes a LONG time in comparison to moving the same file through a 1 gig network connection to another machine. I've seen people say "Oh, my MSA 1000 seems slow" - but rather than say that - (1) is there a benchmark program I can run, and (2) those of you who aren't complaining - what kind of transfer rates are you getting? For some reason, I would think that a 2 gig fibre would get better transfer rates than a 1 gig network connection or even an internal SCSI.
3 REPLIES 3
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

What is a long time. What is the time between the time of the two?

Jerome Poudou

Hi,

try the iometer utility.
this tool will help you to know how your disks perform using various type of access.
dewitte64
Advisor

I tried a 1 gig file a few moments ago from the MSA to a local drive and it took a little over one minute. However, this was on a different fibre card (different) machine. The 30 gig file took 30 minutes via the network and about an hour on the MSA/local drive, but now I'm going to start comparing the two local machines as the test I just did seemed faster than the test on the other machine.