4689 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 active/active

Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

MSA 1000 active/active

Hi
We have a simply MSA 1000, with only one controller, simply attached to HPUX rp3440. I have read upgrading msa firmware to version 7.00 is possible to share MSA with others hosts with windows os (not the same lun, of course). Is that true? Do we need another msa controller? I think it's no need to install another hba fibre channel on rp3440, isn`t it?

Thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

HPUX is heterogenous for an MSA. So only HPUX support, no mix with another os is possible

see :
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12624_div/12624_div.HTML
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

From documentation:
"Optional controller firmware is available for downloading at no cost from the HP MSA1500 Web Site that enables both controllers to operate in an active/active mode. The following are the only operating systems that have been tested and are supported with active/active functionality in a homogeneous configuration only. Dual active (active/active) controller support is heterogeneous with Windows, HP-UX, and Linux environments."

What does "heterogeneous" mean?
"active/active heterogeneous support"?

Thanks again
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I expressed myself bad.

Heterogenous : mixed environment
Homogenous : non-mixed environment.

So it is possible to mix the os with an A/A firmware
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

OK. Just I think that's mean.

I think that another controller is needed, because this firmware works only in active/active.
Do you know we need another hba pci-fibre attach to rp3440 hpux? or Dual controler active/active could work whith fabric swicht and only one card by host connect to msa?

Thanks again