1748128 Members
3988 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 reset and disabling write/read cache

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm Any idea how the switch is zoned, if at all?

I have seen funny things when zoning is not configured in a Heterogeneus Linux environment, specifically in a cluster environment.

You should be able to telnet into the switch from the built in nic or use the serial port. If you can post the configuration, it might be helpful.

If you need help getting into the switch, just let me/us know.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Todd Mermell_1
Occasional Advisor

To my knowledge, there is no zoning configured on the switch.

I say this because I do not believe there is even Ethernet or serial access to it.

I'll check with the folks at the data center and see if there is any way we can get a LAN connection to it.

Thank you,

-Todd
Todd Mermell_1
Occasional Advisor

If I can get a LAN cable connected, will the switch try and pick up a DHCP address if we reboot it? Or does it have to be statically set?

-Todd
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

No to the DHCP. The default IP is 10.77.77.77. You will need to use a crossover cable to a server/laptop/workstation to get into it or use the serial cable.

The login for the switch is...
user: admin
password: password

Once on the switch, you can see/set the IP using IPADDRSHOW/IPADDRSET.

You can also use a web browser to view the switch once you set the IP (or use the default). You will need the Java Runtime though. I suggest J2EE 1.4xxx

a couple of additional questions...
How old is the MSA?
How many ports are on the switch?
Do you have the second controller/switch for it? or is the MSA a single controller setup?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Todd Mermell_1
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,

I checked and there is an 8-port switch used in the middle - so the single controller port is connected to a SAN switch, not a 2/8 switch in the MSA itself.

I'm going to have a serial cable connected to the switch from one of the cluster nodes and should have the information available later today.

There is a redundant controller in the MSA, however, I was told that SecurePath did not work for this release of Linux (REL 3.0) and the HBA.

HP's document site does not have updated information with regard to configuring SecurePath for the MSA 1000 and this release of RedHat.

-Todd
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The problem with SecurePath is currently being worked on. You should be able to use Qlogic's multipath driver.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/softwaredrivers/multipathoptions/qlogicv70.html

Make sure you grab the 7.00.03 driver. One of my customers only looked for 'Red Hat' and installed the old one. System crashed on the first failover.
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

We have done some performance testing with the MSA1000s. With an ES40 running OpenVMS V7.3 and using the TESTDEV utility we set up 32 LUNs each consisting of a 36GB 15K disk. Cache was disabled.

Using 20 concurent I/O streams to each disk we performed random reads 1KB in size. We got around 10,000 I/Os per second.
Todd Mermell_1
Occasional Advisor

Switch firmware level:

Kernel: 5.4
Fabric OS: v3.1.0
Made on: Thu May 1 12:32:20 PDT 2003
Flash: Thu May 1 12:33:13 PDT 2003
BootProm: Tue Oct 30 10:24:38 PST 2001
kelly trosper
Occasional Advisor

Cass,

You said you have done some performance testing with the MSA1000s.

What type of write speeds were you getting to Raid5 vs. ADG?

Thanks!

KT