Disk Enclosures
1753326 Members
4879 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1500cs lost configuration

cdaly2

MSA 1500cs lost configuration

We are using a MSA1500cs with two drive shelves and a HPDL585G1. For some reason, yesterday morning, the logical drive configuration seems to have disappeared - in the ACU, all drives in the RAID array show "unconfigured".

We haven't re-initialized or anything of the sort, so I'm hoping the RAID config (and certainly the data) is still on the drives, but I don't know if there is a method for retrieving this?

Thanks,

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
cnb
Honored Contributor

You didn't mention the OS or F/W information. Have you tried running an ADU report?

Rgds,

cdaly2

Hi, the OS is 2k3x64 and the I'm attaching the ADU report - firmware is at 7.10 now.

Nothing seems terribly wrong in the ADU except for a mention that drives "appear to have been rearranged", but we did not do this.

Thanks!

Chris
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

It doesn't like .zip extensions...

Can you post text?

Rgds,

cdaly2

First, an update:

It does appear we had a bad shelf (!). After replacing the shelf, I can now see my logical drives again, but both showed in a "failed" state. I was able to re-enable one, but Windows immediately prompted me to initialize, I didn't do this because I am unsure of what would happen - I don't want to lose all this data.

For the second drive, something more complicated seems to have happened. Two of the slots on the shelf that were "bad" seemed to have failed and the RAID array attempted to switch over to hot spares (which were not present). So ACU was telling me that that the 2 drives that were "failed" were OK, but would not re-establish because there were no hot spares. I added two hot spares and now I can re-enable this drive, but I am in the same situation - Windows wants me to re-initialized the drive.

If I re-initialize am I throwing all my data out the window so to speak? I'm attaching a new ADU broken into two parts ...

Thanks!
cdaly2

Second part of the ADU ...
cnb
Honored Contributor

Chris,

This states the issue:
Consolidated Error Report:

Controller: MSA1500 CS in SGA053305W

Device: Parallel SCSI Array B

Controller: MSA1500 CS in SGA053305W

Device: Logical Drive 2

Message: This logical drive has failed and cannot be used. All data on this logical drive has been lost.

----
MSA1500 CS in SGA053305W : Parallel SCSI Array B : Logical Drive 2 : Logical Drive Status

Unit Status Failed (0x01)

Drive Failure Map 0x00000000

Read Error Count All Zeroes (32 x [0x0000])

Write Error Count All Zeroes (32 x [0x0000])

Drive Error Data All Zeroes (256 x [0x00])

DRQ Time Out Count All Zeroes (32 x [0x00])

Blocks Left To Recover 0x00000000

Drive Rebuilding 0x00

Remap Count All Zeroes (32 x [0x0000])

Replacement Drive Map Device Status

------------------- -------------

Physical Drive 2:12 Informational

Active Spare Map 0x00000000

Spare Status Spare Status Status

--------------------------- -------------

One Or More Spares Assigned Informational

One Or More Spares Inactive Informational

Spare To Replace Map All Zeroes (32 x [0x00])

Replaced Marked OK Map Device Status

------

So it appears that the logical drive has to be restored from backup.

Rgds,

PS: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

;-)