108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2000 Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Thirsk
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2000 Error

I am not sure how many people have an MSA 2000 out there given the newness of them. I am getting the following error on a regular basis on my MSA and not sure what's causing it.

Critical 2008-05-13 21:18:33 207 A636 Vdisk scrub failed, error code 1. 100 error(s) found (Vdisk: ANET_DS, SN: 00c0ffd53b8200485f191f4800000000)

THere are no errors anywhere on the array that I can tell

Any thoughts or suggestions ??
7 REPLIES 7
Srikanth.D
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Scrub is a background process which identifies issues with the Bad Blocks, new drive defects, meta data read errors. Any errors found are reported as events. By default it is Enabled.

We can Enable/Disable it through :
Manage > General Config > System Configuration

In the above case, i believe an error was found on one of the disks used to create a Vdisk.
Andreas Kessen

We do have the same vdisk error. And not a clue of what happened. I assume, that we just received the 100' errors celebration Email. The scrub errors were loged on a almost daily basis, but tonight we've recived an extra email.
I can identify the corresponding vdisk, but I cant figure out which of the disks do report bad blocks ... on the "disk level" everything looks fine.
have you found a way of figuring out the "defective" or dying disk?
tmurraydb2

I too am getting this same error. It happened right after the vdisk expansion was finished. I have dumped the debug logs, and can't narrow down the drive either.

Any luck?

MSA2012f 12 300GB SAS Drives. 1 VDISK with 11 disks (total 3TB) with one Global Spare.
Gary Flanagan
Occasional Contributor

Did anyone get to the bottom of this?

I have the same issue, on a FC 2012 dual controler SAN after extending a vdisk.

Support asked me to update firmware,which was done, but the error is still there. Then they asked me to delete the vdisk and recreate from scratch.

Personally think this is unbelievable. I have 15 production machines running on ESX connected to this storage. How am I supposed to get this done?
Venkadesh Kannan
Frequent Advisor

As of I know the best solution to this now is backup the vdisk, delete the vdisk, recreate the vdisk using offline initialization & restore data.

for offline initialization you need to change yourself to a advanced user & then select create vdisk, you will get a new menu called advanced options where offline is visible.
tmurraydb2

I too have over 15 production VM's running on this VDISK. This happened to me also after expanding the vdisk. I have the latest firmware. I was told the same thing to delete and recreate. I bought another enclosure and filled it up just to do this, create a new VDISK, and move the machines over. However do you realize how long this takes! If you don't have space to create another VDISK FIRST, then don't do it - you will be down for a week!
Andreas Kessen

still no change in behaviour. Even with the latest firmware :-(