1748108 Members
4892 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2012 Lights always flashing

DavidCleaver11
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2012 Lights always flashing

Hi, I have a 2012i and a MSA 2000 all loaded with 750GB drives, so 24 in total. In SMU, I have configured 2 6.5TB volumes and while it was creating the volumes (3 days) the green LED lights wer flashing 4/5 times a second. When it finished building the volume I expected the lights to stop flashing, but they still are and have been since the build 14 days ago. I have contacted HP and although I have a case number I have had no joy. i need this in our data center ASAP, but I'm concerned that the drives will wear out if the green light represent data being read / written.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2012 Lights always flashing

The MSA2000 does "background scrubbing" - it tests the disk drives for media defects and does a bad-block-repair if it has found one.

According to the documentation, you can change it through:
Manage > General Config > System Configuration
DavidCleaver11
Occasional Advisor

Hi, I found the background scrubing just a few moments ago, and as soon as I disabled it the lights stop flashing. I have read up on this and it says it uses very little overhead, is this true even on 2 x 7TB volumes?

Many thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think that by "little overhead" they mean it is a background task that only works when there is no host I/O.