Disk Enclosures
1753765 Members
5828 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 30 Drive Configuration

Larry Lawson

MSA 30 Drive Configuration

Where can I find comprehensive documentation on the MSA 30?

I have an MSA 30 with 14 drives installed. Would like to use all the drives in a single array but only seven show up on each port of the 6400 smart array controller. My reseller told me that is the way it should work. I have another MSA 30 in production that does not require separate controller port for each half. Looking for information on how to make the change with the equipment I have.

Any info is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 30 Drive Configuration

Sounds like you have an MSA30 DB (dual bus) model. The I/O module has two VHDCI connectors and splits into two busses.

A SmartArray controller can combine disk drives from separate busses into a single drive array - it is even suggested to split them if possible.

If you want to use the second port of the SA6400 for another MSA30 in the future, you have to replace the I/O module in the MSA30 with a single-port one (in mid-2007, the part number was 287484-B21).
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
this could help you:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=373244
the pain is one part of the reality
Larry Lawson

Thanks guys you've answered all my questions. Appreciate your responses.
Larry Lawson

The two responses received resolved my questions.