Disk Enclosures
1751980 Members
4783 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 30 - Fully populated with 300 GB Disk to create 1 logical drive Raid 5 via ACU

Rakesh_26
Advisor

MSA 30 - Fully populated with 300 GB Disk to create 1 logical drive Raid 5 via ACU

I have fully populated the MSA 30 with 300GB Drives hopeing to create one largge logical size Raid 5.

However the problem is, i am being forced to create 2 logiocal drives due to a limitaion i guess. Therfore i am having to loose 2 x 300GB Disks.

Is this a known problem or is there a solution so i can create i big logocal drive rather than have to create 2 logiocal sizes
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 30 - Fully populated with 300 GB Disk to create 1 logical drive Raid 5 via ACU

Hello Rakesh,

the maximum logical drive size is 2 TeraBytes (2^32 blocks, 1 block = 512 bytes). It's a limit in the SCSI drivers. You can try to create one large disk drive array and then put two logical drives, each < 2TB, on it.

You don't say what operating system you are using, but you might work around it by combining both logical drives on the operating system level.
Rakesh_26
Advisor

Re: MSA 30 - Fully populated with 300 GB Disk to create 1 logical drive Raid 5 via ACU

thanks for the explaination

So basically i would need to create 2 logical drives and then strip them into one one logical drive, in the OS (w2k)

This leaving me to loose 2 x 300Gb.

I have both w2k and W2k3 attached to 2 different MSA Storage enviroments.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, what I meant is that you can try to create one large disk drive array that binds all physical disk drives together and then you create two logical disks inside it.
Frank Van Riet
Advisor

Hi Rakesh,

The limitation lies within Windows. Windows can't use disks/LUNs larger than 2TB.

That's why you need to create two LUNs.

Regards,

Frank Van Riet
PM StorageWorks
HP Belgium
Rakesh_26
Advisor

thanks for every ones help