108759 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 500 G2 detected on POST But not by Operating System

SOLVED
Go to solution
bickyz
Advisor

MSA 500 G2 detected on POST But not by Operating System

Hi I have MSA 500 G2 connected to the HP Proliant DL380 G5 with HP Ultra320 SCSISC11Xe Host Bus Adapter (HP LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030 PCIe). Windows Server 2008 R2 is the Operating System.

When I power the Server; the POST does detects MSA but operating system does not.

This Server has:

- Smart Array P400 connected to Internal Drives.
- LSI SAS 3000 connected to HP Autoloader

Is this a compatibility issue or I have connected to wrong SCSI card.

This MSA works fine as it was connected to HP Proliant ML350 via Smart Array 642 Controller (PCI-X) card.

This is what HP System Management displays as:

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 500 G2 detected on POST But not by Operating System

"This MSA works fine as it was connected to HP Proliant ML350 via Smart Array 642 Controller (PCI-X) card."

In your previous setup the MSA500 was connected to a Smart Array controller, but in the new setup it's connected to a just a SCSI card (no RAID or smart array).

That could be the problem. Odds are you have to use the SA 642 for the MSA500, but the MSA500 is quite old so there are no other options listed in the quickspecs: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11956_div/11956_div.HTML

Anyway, it may just be that you need to create an array / logical drives on the MSA. You may be able to do it by pressing F8 at the right time during POST, or you may be able to do it by installing ACU inside the OS. Another option is to boot the server on the smartstart CD.

bickyz
Advisor

Hi Johan,

Thank you for your time.

This "HP LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series" card is not a Smart Array Controller; I have ACU installed and ACU will only detect Smart Array Controller.

My DL380 G5 has no PCIX port otherwise I would have put that Smart Array 642 Controller. Is there any PCIe SCSI card that works well with MSA500 G2?

At POST I did tried F8 (after the first screenshot above) which took me to Option ROM Configuration for Arays (ORCA). On the ORCA screen on Controller: HP Smart Array P400 was detected; How do I change the controller to HP LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000. And I tried F8 on different stages from the very first POST load to end until Operating systems load but still the same P400 was on the cotroller section.

On BIOS boot order it does shows Ultra320 SCSI controller.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello, 

maybe it's not F8. You can't change controller within ORCA, you need to press it at the righ time (usually around the time the device is mentioned). It may also be that the SC11xe does not have a utility during POST.

DL380 G5 quickspecs: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html says: "All Ultra 320 controllers are PCI-X.."

One option would be to get the "Mixed Riser Cage Option Kit" and put the SA 642 in there.

Another option might be to upgrade the MSA500 to fibre channel and get a FC HBA to the server, there was another post about that upgrade on this forum recently. It sounds expensive.

bickyz
Advisor

thank you Johan for the info.

Trying F8 on several intervals on POST now gave me followings:

Select Configuration option:

1. Tape-based One Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR)
2. Multi Initiator Configuration
3. Exit

HPSCSI Cards Found

1. HP Ultra4 DUal Channel at slot -- port 0

Enter choice

Is above configuratuion something to do with "HP LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 connected to MSA500 G2" or -Smart Array P400 connected to Internal Drive or LSI SAS 3000 connected to HP Autoloader

Selecting Multi Initiator Configuration displays following:

SCSI Card ID: 7
Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Enabled
Current Domain Validatio nscheme: Full

Do you want to change the SCSI Card ID? Yes/No

Selectiing No will display following

Do you want to change the status of Reset SCSI Bus? Yes/No

Selecting No will display following:

Choices for Domain Validation schemes
1 - Level 1 DV only,  2 - Full DV executed

What should I select on above if I am on right path.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It is not for the P400 - that one is called ORCA - and in there you can create arrays.

I don't know what the difference is in the POST menues between those two other adapters.

But I do not think that changing anything in there will make a difference for you.

bickyz
Advisor

thank you Johan for your support.

I will look into to purchase Mixed Riser Cage Option Kit.