1752794 Members
6686 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 500 G2 with 2 Proliant DL 580 disk problem

ASam_1

MSA 500 G2 with 2 Proliant DL 580 disk problem

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this problem.

2 Proliant DL 580, Windows 2003 Enterprise.
The machine was configured as a cluster, but it was before, now we just configure it as a standard server ( non cluster ).

1 server is already in production for several months, and we want to create another server with the other unit. We forgot to unplugged the SCSI cable to the MSA 500 ( which is already used by the production server ). From the newly setup server, we can see there's a unallocated space of 407 GB ( around that number ), which made me alarm about we forgot to unplugged the SCSI cable to the MSA 500. Up to more that 6 hours...eveything is normal, the production server still can access their data. From this fact, we thought it was ok not to unplugged the SCSI cable to MSA, as log as we don't do anything to the discs.

Now, for some reason, I need to restart the production server. Once the production server is up, the drive D is gone. From HP Smart Array Diagnostic eveything seems fine ( just a guess ). From My Computer->Manage->Disc management, I now see 1 failed partition, which I suspect that is my logical RAID 5, D drive ( see attached picture ).

How can I bring back my data in drive D ( logical drive ) ?

Please help, thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
ASam_1

Re: MSA 500 G2 with 2 Proliant DL 580 disk problem

Ok, here is the picture.

1 : is the suspected missing D logical drive ( RAID 5 ).

You can see healthy E drive, which is also 7 X 72.8 GB, RAID 5.

There supposed to be drive D, the same configuration with drive E.
So I don't know why there is number 2 and number 3 ( in the picture ) which is 407 GB each. No such drive/disc unless it is the missing D drive.
ASam_1

This is a picture from the newly setup server.
1: 407 GB unallocated is also seen by this server.

I don't have 407 GB unallocated...unless it is the missing drive D from the production server.
Why is this unallocated ? I have my critical data on that D drive.

The unallocated status was seen from the newly setup server right after we install it. We haven't touch it ( delete or create any partition to it ).

Strangely drive E, which is also in the same MSA, is not seen on newly setup server, can be accessed from the production server on drive E.
ASam_1

this is the same view from both production server and the newly setup server. They look identical.