Disk Enclosures
1748080 Members
5262 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA P2000fc G3 shows as a L port status.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Iain Binnie
Advisor

MSA P2000fc G3 shows as a L port status.

Hi, firstly im no expert on SAN's and the new P2000 G3 and am haveing some issues being that in the switches the P2000 shows as a L port status.

I would like to have a F port status so I can zone them via aliases (as i have done with my msa 1500's in the past), is this what I should be doing or should I use port zoning for the L ports?

I realize L ports are loop and F ports are fabric but I donтАЩt understand the fundamental difference between the two?

I have updated the firmware on the P2000 but have not yet updated the firmware on the san switches as yet but this is my next step.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Iain
19 REPLIES 19
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA P2000fc G3 shows as a L port status.

Hi, definitely give updating firmware on the SAN-switches a shot.

But maybe you could also check the setting you have on the host port in the P2000 SMU?

One setting is supposed to be for a direct-connected server and the other for a SAN-switch. I believe the one for direct-connect will turn the port in the P2000 into an L_port so that it can have a little loop with the server.

After you set it I would restart P2000 and SAN-switch.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

WWN-based zoning (using aliases or not) should work for L_Ports, too.
gsb_2
Regular Advisor

I know when I first got my MSA P2000fc G3 the ports showed up as L ports. I switched them to F ports. I think I did it on the SAN switches.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

yeah, you can see how they are configured with 'portcfgshow'

maybe there is a portcfgfport command you can use
Iain Binnie
Advisor

Hey, OK so your right I can alias a L port thanks for that ;) when I first check it was not allowing me to add it in SwitchExplorer GUI.
I have now zoned and am waiting for a downtime to reboot the cluster nodes attached to the SAN to see if they pickup the MSA200o and I see it in the ACU.

I have x 2 SAN switches so I have set one of the MSA2000 ports to only allow that of a F port status and autonegotiate for the speed and now it shows as a F port and a message of IN_Sync as oposed to ONLINE I think this is a misconfig between the SAN and MSA ports?

I also do everything via SWITCHEXPLORER GUI not via the hyper terminal.

I guess another question is what is the difference between F adfn L ports in there functionality and how will it effect perfomrance?

As I sai im no real expert on this....the MSA1500 just seemed to work ;)
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You dont have to use hyperterminal, you can use putty as well and connect via telnet/ssh.

What is the setting on the host ports in the SMU?
Iain Binnie
Advisor

OK cool good to know I can do it over IP as oposed to serial but I still dont really know all the commands so still mainly ues the GUI (still a newbe).

SMU ? Is this the sys mangemnt utility (web front end) on the MSA 2000 ? If so I had a look but could nto find the settings for the ports, where are they ?

If you need me to run any commands please tell me them ?
Iain Binnie
Advisor

OK.Rebooted under a CM and I dont see the MSA2000 ??

One thing I should have mentioned is I My 2 servers are connected to the SAN's useing 1 FC cable each, now this cable is currently zoned with a MSA 1500cs attached to it and I have zoned the MSA2000 to this also So can I attach another controller to this or does it have to go into its own FC HBA ?

The HBA's I have in the servers are luckly 2 dual port HBA's in each server giving x 4 ports so I can cable each server to both of the SAN switches twice giving redundency ?

Any help massively appreciated!! ;)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

The MSA2000 / P2000, host connection is set as Loop, from factury. Simply change it to: point to point.

You can do that from the gui or from the CLI, via telnet. Whatever you prefer.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo