New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000, HPUX and MCSG Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

MSA1000, HPUX and MCSG Question

Hi
I know that MSA1000 with one controller support is possible for hpux. But if I want configure MCSG with two hpux nodes and two MSA1000 each with one controller then is it possible to configure MCSG.
I mean there will be 2 hpux nodes each with 2 FC HBA, 2 MSA1000 each with one controller and connection of fibre is cris cross.

Regds,
MP
9 REPLIES 9
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Are you having embedded hub (2/3) or switch (switch2/6 or switch2/8)?
If not you have only one FC port (default) on each MSA. How will you connect total 4 hbas?

If you have dual HBAs with single controller on MSA, the MSA controller is SPOF.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi MP,
Here there is an example with MSA1500 but it the same with MSA100
http://www.hp.com/sbso/productivity/howto/san/sanfg04_big.html

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

MP,
you need to make sure that each fibre channel adapter has access to only one MSA1000 controller. The data has to be replicated using DiskMirror/UX. That would be a supported configuration.

TT,
MP is talking about *two* seaparate MSA1000 boxes, each with one controller. You are correct that he needs a 2/3 hub or a fibre channel switch for each MSA.

Antonio,
the picture shows two different SANs. The data is replicated over an IP network with a Microsoft Windows-based solution (Storage Mirroring).
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Find attached a document that shows the currently supported configurations.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for helping me especially Mr. Peter. I have one question, can we configure MCSG with 2 hosts each with single FC HBA, one MSA 1000 with single controller & 8-port SAN switch. In this config there will be SPOF for fibre links which is OK.

regds,
MP
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Yes, this is perfectly supported.

You can upgrade to dual controller, dual fabric and dual HBA when active-active for the MSA1000 will is available (Expected round end 05) to get to a non SFOP configuration.

Did you already buy the MSA1000? If not I would consider buying an MSA1500 instead.
Advantages of the MSA1500: More scalable, supports SCSI and SATA disks behind the same controller(s), active-active configuration will be available earlier (round October 05)!

Enjoy
Peter
I love storage

Peter,

Is the MSA1500 even supported on HPUX? The quickspecs here don't say so:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11945_div/11945_div.html#Compatibility

And when I check SPOCK, they also don't list HPUX support for the 1500

The MSA1000 *does* support HPUX - quickspecs and SPOCK both back that up.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

I raised that question last week HP internally and got the information that it is supported now. See the attached document.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info, from pdf it is clear that MSA1000 or MSA1500 the support for hpux is single controller, that means SPOF still remains for controller.

regds,
MP