108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 add more controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amer Khan
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 add more controllers

I have an MSA1000 with two controller cards running as active/active. Can I add more controllers to the same MSA1000 to better distribute the IO. My machine is doing a very high number IO waits and I am wondering if distributing the IO over more controllers would help.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to Disk Array. -HP Forum Moderator

13 REPLIES 13
James Muell
Valued Contributor
Solution

Sorry, no the MSA only has 2 controllers. This is a low end SAN storage device. The controllers are only rated for 160 mb/psec.
When you say your active active, does that mean you are running one of the active-active firmware versions? or or just HBA dual connected. Did you manually assign the MSA controllers to lun?
Amer Khan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. I am using the active/active firmware version and have enabled active/active through steps given in the firmware setup. I also had HP tech come by and confirmed that it is running in active/active mode. Although, I can never tell how the load is balancing between the two controllers. So, you are saying that if I want to use more controllers than I would have to replace MSA1000 with some thing better???
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, yes. Or just a better performing storage array.

If you are using the MSA switch modules, You can SSH or telnet to the switch console login as admin and run the command
portperfshow

Setup 2 sessions, 1 to each switch and you will be able to see performance or I/O running through both controllers.

If your using the 2/3Port HUBs you will not be able to do this.

Amer Khan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks James. What would you suggest as a replacement for MSA1000 that would allow us to use more controllers and would not break the bank either :-). Also, would you be so kind and send me a link to documentation which detail out the parportshow procedure and how to ssh/telnet to MSA1000?

You help is greatly appreciated.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

James,

can you tell me how i can see the performance on an MSA1500cs?
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

James,

can you tell me how i can see the performance on an MSA1500cs?

Amer,

The next level up SAN would be an EVA system. The MSA1500 (which i've got) was more of a replacement for the MSA1000, not the next model up. I'm pretty sure it's causing a major bottleneck at the moment.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Amer, Chis is correct the for HP storage the next step up in to the EVA systems you can start out by just buying the amount of disks you need and add more later. These systems are considerably more expensive however.

Chris, With your 1500 you should have FC switches - or at least 1, or 2 if your running a redundant fabric and HBA configurations. Part of this thread gives the basics of seeing performance ( I/O ) running across the fabric. Again, the MSA1500 to my knowledge is using the exact same controller Amir is using in his MSA1000. portperfshow is the Brocade switch command to view performance across all the switch ports. If you using cisco or other FC switches you'll have to look in help for a similar command.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

we have been using the 3par InServ Storage Systems and found no performance issues period. They just released a low end unit call the E200 and it has all the features of the larger systems they sell.
Amer Khan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks James, Chris. I will look into E200 and make suggestions to my Manager.

I appreciate your help in this regard.

Amer